Another word for stay?

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
Some good ideas! I should probably work on it built into sit/down/etc. I like halt and hold and freeze.

Bleib reminds me of Justin Beiber. Lol
It actually isn't pronounced like the "eib" in Beiber It's pronounced like "Lie"

I use "Bleib" for Hawk.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
All of my dogs ended up being bi-lingual lol. They all know German and English commands

Indy speaks a little French and a little Dutch as well lol.

If I'm simply using her commands it sounds like I'm talking to her in gibberish, because I'm switching from German to French to Dutch. :p

I'm considering training some in Czech just to really throw people off lol

And I was also told by someone who speaks German, from Germany (who has trained pet dogs, just his own) that they use a different variation of Blieb for meaning "stay right there" and it's just Bleib-en. Apparently, according to him anyway, Blieb is for staying still while I'm standing near you, but if I move off, you move off with me. Adding the -en onto the end means, stay here until I call you or I come back for you.

I started doing that with Indy, it's made a difference for sure. Blieben now means, you are not going anywhere, no matter what. I also changed it up a bit and use "stay" if we're practicing obedience and I'm planning to call her out of the stay. Blieb means sit or down until I move off, then move off with me, don't monkey around or come front, and Blieben now means, I will come back and get you, you are not to move.

So basically, she knows like three different variations of "stay put" and labeling all of them differently helped me a lot.

"Wait" here just means do not move forward. I use it at the front door, and I also use it while setting their bowls down. Backwards movement, sideways, I don't care, but "wait" means do not come forward.

"Stop!!!!!!" means FREEZE RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, and all of my dogs have an emergency down, which is just "Down!" in a panicked tone of voice :p

Brattina88

Red light, green light sounds so fun! :D
I want Petrificus Totalus... but... probably a mouthful to say :eek: lol

Freeze was my "real" answer. :rofl1:

Tashapaws

Spanish Pup
Red light, green light sounds so fun! :D
I want Petrificus Totalus... but... probably a mouthful to say :eek: lol

Freeze was my "real" answer. :rofl1:
Why don't you train "Talus" and add the rest when you need it?

For Natasha, I say "Stop, Queta". Queta (Pronnounced "Keh-Tah) is my suggestion.
The reason why I use two words... well, I started training Queta, then we went to obedience classes and they used "Stop". After some time, I found myself saying Stop, so I decided to say both of them, because I didn't know which one was the most reinforced ^^

Hillside

Original Twin
Saga uses stay and with Nico, sit & platz mean hold that position until you are released. The French ring dogs we train with use rest. We use wait like most other people here do, no forward movement. Especially useful with a wound up Malinois that wants to go WORK! so he doesn't come barreling out of his crate.

When I taught obedience classes, I would suggest purple as a release word since it doesn't come up in everyday conversation much. :lol-sign:

Snark

Mutts to you
'Park it' (as in, park your keister right there and don't move 'til I tell you). Works on nieces and nephews, too. :D

Members online

No members online now.