Otterhounds.

I want to get another dog and am thinking about getting an OH.

Anyone have any experience with these dogs? I've done a lot of research on them and think it would be a good fit for us. I like the idea of a "scruffy" pur bred dog, to offset my "stately" mutt. I have plenty of room (2 acres, with 1/6 acre fenced) and access to a pond next door where an OH can get plenty of swimming in.

There is a breeder here in Ohio that seems to be well recommended and the pups have conformation champions as both sire and dam.

How much do you think a pup would cost? I'm thinking like $2 grand...I wonder if that's in the ballpark.

-Kev

That's probably in the ballpark, Kev, you might even get a pet quality for less. They are neat dogs from all I've ever read, and JTW should give an Otterhound pup plenty of needed exercise. I don't know how much of their hunting instincts have been bred out, but it's probably safe to assume that if the pedigree is mainly conformation recognition their desire to hunt should be somewhat less. But after all, even the smallest dog likes to chase something.

Bet those Otterhound puppies are too, too cute . . .

Renee750il said:
That's probably in the ballpark, Kev, you might even get a pet quality for less. They are neat dogs from all I've ever read, and JTW should give an Otterhound pup plenty of needed exercise. I don't know how much of their hunting instincts have been bred out, but it's probably safe to assume that if the pedigree is mainly conformation recognition their desire to hunt should be somewhat less. But after all, even the smallest dog likes to chase something.

Bet those Otterhound puppies are too, too cute . . .
From what I've read, they retain at least some of their wild game hunting instinct for water mammals like otters, beavers, etc. but they usually get along fine with housecats, so long as they are raised with them.

I have no intention to breed or show (at least my first OH) so maybe I can get a "bargain" runt...maybe one missing a leg or something. :eek: :cool:

Love4Pits...I think you are the only one on this forum that sleeps less than me...lol.! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.