Fish oil dosage question

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
So I should have done my research before buying a bottle lol but anyway: I have a bottle of 1200mg fish oil. Then it says each capsule contains 360mg of omega-3s. I was originally thinking that, if a 50lb dog needs 1000mg a day, then I would just have to give Juno 1 capsule a day... but the more I read about it, the more it sounds like the 360mg of omega-3s is the number I need to be looking at. Which means Juno would need like 3 a day and it instantly becomes not as cheap as it first sounded. :eek:

So clever Chazzers, is my revelation correct? It's the omega-3s that really matter? If so, I am very disappointed in myself lol.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I just buy the big bottle at Costco and Sawyer and I each take two pills each morning.

Saeleofu

You are correct. The "fish oil mg" is rather useless, it's just the omega-3s that count.

Buy the biggest bottle of the most concentrated stuff you can, it'll still be cheap. I got mine at Vitacost (online) for around $6 for a 300-count bottle. Often Dillon's/Kroger will have the big bottles on sale for 50% off plus a $2 or $3 coupon.

With what I have now, Logan gets 4 pills a day.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Bah, how misleading! That'll teach me to buy things impulsively lol, I even did a quick Google search on my phone before I bought it, but I just saw 20mg/lb and thought "sweet, 1 a day!" Silly me :p

fish oil is one of the few supplements where I really believe you're better off buying quality or none at all. 2 companies that have a quality product for a decent consumer price are Carlson Labs and Nordic Naturals. There are some others of course, but most of them I find to be much more expensive without an increase in quality.

You couldn't pay me to take the cheap stuff off a store shelf. Most of it is the filtrate from a quality product, isn't tested, or has had less than ideal extraction processes and ultimately what you get is fish oil. That part is true. But it's oxidized, rancid crappy fish oil that at best is worthless and at worse is a potential carcinogen.

anyway, Yes the EPA and DHA is about all you need to pay attention to. It has to do with the length of the Fatty acid chain and how useable it is by the body. Those are the two big ones. The rest are cheap, easy to get, and plentiful in your diet anyway. But your body isn't very good at converting those shorter chained fatty acids into the the length chain that it needs. Take flax oil for example. You'd be eating about 10lbs of flax seeds to saturate your body enough to get the same levels of useable omega3's from a quality fish oil pill. Dog's are very similiar.

Members online

No members online now.