Yorkie size??

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
How big are yorkies supposed top be? I saw one at the dog park and it was literally smaller then most chihuahuas I have seen. The owner told me it was 2 POUNDS!! I always thought yorkies to be a slightly bigger, more substantial size, not like it was still a puppy. Help?

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
The STANDARD is anything under 7 pounds, so technically the dog was standard size.

Now most good breeders will tell you that a decent yorkie should be between 4 and 7 pounds.

There are BYB's that sell micro puppies, or teacups... but this is dangerous because they are breeding down for size only and the very small ones can have health risks.

HTH.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
id say average is 4 pounds, thats seen as "normal"

but they are being bred to be smaller and smaller. mostly because thats what people will pay big money for, ive seen prices as much as $3000 for the teacup pups

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
id say average is 4 pounds, thats seen as "normal"
that is pretty average... mine are 4.9 (still growing a little) & 4.12 and when we encounter other yorkies they are about even as far as size goes.... and we encounter ALOT of yorkies (#2 breed in NYC)

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I know yorkies from 2lbs to 12+ lbs.
This is puppy mill country, so I am actually not sure what average is suppose to be. I bet most of them I see are about 5 lbs or so.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
I know yorkies from 2lbs to 12+ lbs.
This is puppy mill country, so I am actually not sure what average is suppose to be. I bet most of them I see are about 5 lbs or so.
Yes, that is the problem with puppymills, :rolleyes:

People will pay big money for very tiny yorkies (and lots of other breeds), no idea why.

And a lot of BYB's use much larger females because that means more puppies per litter, which of course equals more money per litter which has led to the influx of large yorkies that are out of standard.

But of course, this is what happens with all popular breeds.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
we have yorkies with floppy ears, and yorkies with prick ears.
some have cotton curly hair, some silky straight.
but they are all yorkies... just amish puppy mill yorkies!

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
we have yorkies with floppy ears, and yorkies with prick ears.
some have cotton curly hair, some silky straight.
but they are all yorkies... just amish puppy mill yorkies!
actually have a funny (sad funny i guess) story about that.

I was in PetSmart one day and this couple had a yorkie X shitzu mix... cute little dog, so we got to talking.

They said they got it from a farm in Lancaster and they had lots of different breeds but they werent a puppymill because they had kids helping them out and no one would let their kids help if they were running a puppymill.

I didnt know whether to laugh at the logic or not, I just sat there with this kind of stunned expression.:yikes:

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Oh, okay. She had another one that was ten months and was 7 pounds. Thanks! I also saw my first Papillon there, not nearly as cute as Mia or Summer.... I hope no more movies come out about dogs because then they would become popular.

Members online

No members online now.