what can henry do? no clue about doggy sports! fill me in!

I was wondering if someone could give me a simple discription of the doggy sports that are out there?
I have a jack russel, and im very new to this so nothing super technical. Im looking for somthing that can give henry a good workout and a change from our normal routine. :)

otch1

Hello Henry! There are so many things you can do with a JRT. First, it's nice to get to a level of obedience that insures your dog is reliable off leash. This will be required before you participate in a lot of activities. (Agility, flyball, earthdog, tracking... all sports that terriers excell at.) Once you've fine tuned your obedience work, I'd reccommend an "Agility for Fun" class. Something geared toward the novice pet owner verses competitior. you and your dog should really enjoy this.

sounds great! we for sure need to work on our off leash, its comming but still not 100%.
what is earthdog?

adojrts

Hi welcome to the world of JRT's. At JRTCA or JRTCC trials or fun matches there are many different events for the dogs. Racing, Go to Ground, Lure Coursing, Trailing & Locating (off leash tracking) along with the almost 90 conformation classes for puppy, open and working divisions.
www.terrier.com or www.jrtcc.com
I too recommend at least companion dog obedience classes for you and your little one, but make sure they use positive methods, Jrts don't generally respond well to harsh methods and negative reinforcements.
Jrts are also very popular in flyball and in agility. As for agility, I would be careful again as to who you take classes with. Even if you don't ever plan to compete in agility it is still critical for for you dogs safety to learn from someone who DOES compete and is successful and has students that Title in agility. Sadly there are too many people who purchase the equipment, read a book or two, then start offering classes because its a cashcow.
Good luck and feel free to PM me at anytime. I have worked, shown, bred, trained and rescue JRTs. At this time I have 5 adult jrts in our home, everything from a multiple National Champion (in different events) to our retired girl ( lol my numbers are down).
Take care
Lynn

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
sounds great! we for sure need to work on our off leash, its comming but still not 100%.
what is earthdog?
Earthdog is a sport specifically designed for terriers. It's designed to test their instincts as "go to ground" vermin hunters. A simple underground tunnel is made, and a caged mouse or rat is put in the end. The dogs enter the tunnel, follow the scent to the rat, and have to aggressively bark at it for a moment or two.

It's harder to find an earthdog event, but they look like a lot of fun. Terriers absolutely love it.

Brandyb

Welcome! Nice to see another JRT owner here.
As Ado said, the JRTCC/JRTCA hold many events (both fun and trials) throughout the year that involve racing, go-to-ground, lure coursing, agility, obedience etc etc.
Racing and luring coursing are great fun, and not too technical at all. Try and get out to a fun day with a local club so that you can get the idea of what events go on, and how they are done.
If you are interested in agility, I would definately suggest to have some strong obedeince training behind you. Puppy class and one or two other levels wouldn't hurt.
These are awsome little dogs, very very intelligent, and can learn whatever you'd like them to, so you have a lot of options with JRTs.
If you can, post some pictures of the little guy - I'd love to see them!! :)

Members online

No members online now.