year of the dog

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
had an idea..and wanted to see what u all think..i say this as l throw Victor's blue ball for the hundreth time..how's bout having a Year of the Dog gallery show..since we share this common passion....not a contest..but a celebration and tribute to our best friends..our angels..our little four legged keys to our happiness..I have decided what medium i am going to do mine in..and it isn't anything like what you have seen from me before..then if any rescues are interested in using any pieces as a fund raiser..we could turn over the rites...whatcha all think? I am doing my tribute to year of the dog one way or the other..and i haven't done one of these in a long long time. I taught myself out of an old boyscout manual..did this one for a scout troop leader. His "name" ws Heron. It was passed down to him from his Father that was also a leader...I want to try to do a dog in the same medium...my brain is cooking on it....we would need to decide on the show date..open to any type of medium...

Attachments

Barb04

Super Moderator
Sounds like a great idea! I have to get my creative juices flowing to try and come up with an idea.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
here is where i got the idea..http://www.theyearofthedog.com so i was right 2006..how about Jan 1? that is 8 months which is a good long time..(especially for me since i am terminally behind)..we could even share the progress.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I don't think I understand all this.
Your saying we make some kind of art peice that has to do with celebrating dogs, in any medium we want and then what?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
we could all post them on the same day..like a gallery show minus the wine and cheese..(unless we provide ourselves.. :D .) there is so much talent here..in so many different ways. Art is suppose to be a celebration of life, an expression of love..so we could express how we feel about our four footers! Then if anybody envolved in rescue would want to use something in there ads or fundraisers they could make copies..i would send them mine on a disc or e-mail..not the original..but they could reproduce for fund raising..i think it would be fascintating to see anyone of the forum that wanted to participate..all put together. We had student shows at school sort of like this. I hate compititions in art, i find it drival and pointless cause no one piece is "better" than another, that is why i thought a GALLERY SHOWING would be a better approach. i am going to donate my original to Arts Unleashed. I still have the rights to make reproductions or give that right to anyone i want...I do this every year..but this year instead of a gift certificate..i am going to make something rare. That would be optional of course, the main thing is to celebrate THE YEAR OF THE DOG :) WHatcha think? is it a good idea?

Saje

Island dweller
Ha ha. Sorry. The mention of wine and cheese reminded me of an all-candidate event I was at this week. All three of our MLA candidates were at a forum answering questions. There is a young guy there running for the Green Party. He's only 23. Someone asked him what kind of leadership experience he had and he said he had started a wine and cheese club in university. :D Really made us laugh. With him though. He's a great spirited guy and he knows there's really know hope of him winning. He's just pushing the single-transferable vote which we will also be voting on.

BTW I love your idea Smkie.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Oh Ok!! I understand now. I think thats a great Idea! I'll even try to make something, but it will have to be after next week. Thats when I have 3 AP tests. :eek:
Anyways, great Idea Smkie!!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I figured that the year begins Jan 1 unless the calender is different..i will have to find out. That would be 8 months from now..that is about how long it will take me..actually i did the bead work above in 30 hours..but i have several pieces i have to do before that time..and i would just post a reminder a couple months before..i think it would be so neat to do together..just wanted to see if anyone else was interested..some of my favorite pieces i have made took only minutes..i chose a beadwork because it is rare and not many people do it anymore..there is one person that donates to the arts unleashed that makes little dog faces out of pieces of bark..and they are absolutlely precious..i keep thinking of all the different styles i have seen here, each special in their own way..(all in my head..i have a photographic memory that comes in handy) and thought wouldn't it be fun for us all to do one and post together..if other people are game, i will make a little set up like a real gallery has..invitations and such. We can just pretend it is in one building with fancy lights and stuffy art critics hehehe :D

Barb04

Super Moderator
OK, you've got me thinking. My work may not be great, but I'm going to start working hard trying to do something creative.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Maybe Jan 1 is to far away...anybody know when the year of the dog really begins?
Not great BArb?grrrrrrr..that is my point..it is ALL great!
My second favorite qoute is Compare not yourself to others for there will always be lesser and greater then yourself....I can't think of the name of the poem, but it is quite famous...starts with a D..i use to teach my children different parts of it when they were growing up..especially the part about avoiding loud people for they are vexious to the soul..the whole poem is so wise, my mom has it on her wall at home.
maybe one of our poets could come up with a year of the dog poem..to be the theme.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Somehow Basset Lover comes to mind for a poem.

OK, let's all give this a try. I agree, Smkie, whatever we do is going to be great!!!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Thank you Renee..i should be ashamed i am so lazy about looking things up..i was going to get around it....i think that should be the date..agreed?

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Hmmmm! I will definatley be game for that!! I'll start right away as I don't have much going on today!

That sounds great...Havent painted since I graduated college...And donating to rescues and such is also a good idea...Sounds fun count me in....

Richie12345

Does it have to be a painting? I am good at drawing (well, I like to think I am good at drawing;) ), and I have a bunch of colored pencils. If it doesn't have to be a painting I want to join!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
all mediums welcome :D this is just us..for us and anyone else that wants to enjoy, a celebration to our best friends for their special year. :)

smkie, I think thats an absolute fab idea, I love doing creative things. Are you going to keep us posted on the whole thing, u know, when we should send our pieces of art, etc. I love doing creative things! What a grrrrrrrreat idea!

Members online

No members online now.