Trick of the week: Backup!

Sara can't do it right now so I'm taking over the TotW (Trick of the Week, not Taste of the Wild ;) ) for her this week!

So we're going back to the basics for this week, Backup! Working on hind end awareness while maybe fancying up what you already have. There are so many ways to make this trick anything from simple to complicated and everything in between.

• Work on going backwards while facing away from you.
  • Work on adding how many steps it means for the dogs to take.
  • Have them back up in heel.
  • Backup stairs.
  • Backup while heeling.
  • Backup behind you.
And many more!

So many options, be creative, have fun and get to treating!

Dex

Perfect timing! My crew is currently working on backing up stairs!!

Here's the current status, video to come later..

Dodger: We are luring it because he's not good at offering behaviors (unless it's roll over or spin, he will always try to offer that no matter what the situation is). So with luring, he curls into a small ball and falls over and then falls down the two stairs we made it up. It was adorable and hilarious.

Dex: Shaping it, she rocks it, loves to put her feet on all things. I want to add distance to it now.

A few weeks ago we worked on backing up in heel position, both did a good job. I'll try for some video of that soon too!

AliciaD

On second thought...
I started this with Duncan because I wanted to be able to tell him to "back off" and have him back up and give me space so that I could carry things without him constantly sticking his nose in bags, laundry baskets, etc. :rolleyes: (I could have solved this a lot of other ways, haha)

I used leaning forward to make him back up, and never transitioned to the verbal command.

I sort of ****ed up training this though, I kept forgetting my criteria- was it 3 steps I wanted? Does it matter if he backs straight up? What if his steps back are getting progressively smaller (1 big step back, then a medium step back, then a tiny shuffle back)? So it will be good to try again.

Bayleigh has the cutest back up but we haven't practiced it in forever. She's a bit rusty. I'll work with her again and post a video soon. :)

Dex

Here's Dex and her stairs. I didn't realize it's super dark in that area, I'll have to adjust that next time I video :)

[YOUTUBE]fNBGUXFnPyQ[/YOUTUBE]

iriskai

I need to do this with my guys.. Mimi I don't think would take long to figure it out. Ezra.. well.. I'm not sure Ezra knows he has back feet.

Dex looks awesome!! I love when they really start getting it and their line gets straighter and straighter, you can really see it towards the end there with her.

I need a Dodger video though. It's a need, not a want.

And my question for this post is "A black dog is what color?" so obviously the world wants a Dodger video.

Dex

Dex looks awesome!! I love when they really start getting it and their line gets straighter and straighter, you can really see it towards the end there with her.

I need a Dodger video though. It's a need, not a want.

And my question for this post is "A black dog is what color?" so obviously the world wants a Dodger video.
LOL! Dodger video coming soon, I promise! He's getting better but you'll notice that I laugh the majority of the time I do any training with him at all.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
[YOUTUBE]LDsRuaZ5LwA[/YOUTUBE]

Here's what we're working on! We originally started this before roll over, it took ages for her to stop offering it over roll over, and the ages to get it back. :)

Members online

No members online now.