Help choosing a breed please!

I live in a moderate sized apartment, and i have a terrible want for a mdeium to large sized dog. I know that this sounds ridiculous, because I have no yard. But I am very active, and am defiantely dedicated enough to take my dog out all the time. There a bunch of park areas in the apartment complex I live in.

I'm looking for a dog with little grooming needs, a loyal dog, who isn't extremely active, but isn't a t.v. watching dog. One who will play fetch with me outside.

As I said I am looking for a large dog, about... 20-60 pounds? I know that's a large range but I am open to alot of possibilities.

I really want a friendly dog, but like i said before, a really loyal one.

A few of the dogs I was looking at were Labroador retriever, Siberian Huskey CORGIDOR (even though they seem very rare, thye are a hybrid), Golden Retriever, German Shepard
anything along those lines I am going to be adopting from a pound, or a rescue organization, so I can't really be all to picky :)

please help?

thank you!!!!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Out of the breeds you are considering, I would probably consider a Golden. IMO a Sibe would not be too good. People have managed to take care of them while in an apartment but it's not ideal.
How much experience do you have with dogs? Training?
And you said you would go to a pound or a rescue? I'm sure you could find a mix who would suit your needs. :)

Maxy24

Your getting from a shelter so I won't oppose the Hybrid but if you did not know, don't get them from breeders it's a scam for money!

Well I think most of those breeds are over 60 pounds (or at least can be) but since you want a large dog you probably don't mind. Huskys are probably too energetic for you. You said you don't want too much grooming but how do you feel about shedding? Goldens and Labs shed quite a bit (not sure about GSDs) but if you don't mind that then I'd go with either of them. Depending on the individual you can get a very hyper or very layed back golden or lab. The reason I don't mention German Shepherds is because i don't know enough about them but we have some GSD owners who can be of help with that.

Have you ever been to www.petfinder.com it is a great site that helps you find the breed and age dog you are looking for in your area. There is also a thing you can click on that says local shelter where you can look at dogs from shelters in your area that may not have been from the breed you wanted but still might be a perfect match.

Sorry i'm not much help, I'm not very good with breeds but i wish you luck in your search!

Melissa_W

I would say a golden or a mixed breed.

With your criteria, I definitely wouldn't go with a Sibe. My friend has three and they are extremely active and don't seem terribly well suited for apartment life. They were really hard to housebreak and are rather independent.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
id say a lab or a golden, oth shed considerably, but of the breeds your interested in they would be the best suited, sibes definatly not good, too much energy. and i think a shepard would be too much too.

corgi x labs are NOT hybrids, there mutts mixed breeds (a hybrid is 2 different species ie a lion and a tiger, a horse and a donkey ect, 2 different breeds of dogs however are simply mixed breeds, nothing wrong with them but plese dont purposely go out looking for a hybrid "corgidor" from a "breeder" because quite simply youll be taken for every hard earned penny in MOST those cases.) so avoid buying one from a breeder, adopting one from a shelter however i have no problem with, they deserve good homes i just hate to see unscrupulous breeders making money off them :)

back to origional topic. hav eyou considered a basic ole hinze 57 mutt. go to your local shelter and take a look around, theres bound to be one that just SCREAMS choose me and he may be nothing like any of the breeds youve mentioned :)
ideally youd want a young adult 1-4yrs of age, id probably say a short coated god to ease up on the grooming, however many long coated dogs (ie a golden) dont require much more than a good comb and sometimes a trim once in a while so if your not too worried about shedding your not realy even restricted too much on coat length. the nice thing about rescuing a young adult is youll kno how big the dog is full grown, the dog will hopefully already be somewhat housebroken and youll be bast the crazy puppy stages.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've got an adult (3-4 y/o) female black Lab in need of a home, would do ok in an apartment provided she got some good off-leash park time. Loves to play fetch and doesn't quite have a typical Lab coat, so she doesn't shed much at all.

mrose_s

BusterLove
don't forget about things like Germa shorthaired pointers. there gorgeous.

or a cattle dog, atleast with my boy i've found that he's a great energy conserver. he can just be at home all day doing othing and not whinge. or i can take him out and walk him for hours and he loves it.

~Tucker&Me~

I am going to have to say I disagree with ACD and pointer. Both are VERY active!

Would you consider a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? On the smaller side, I know, but they seem to fit your description pretty well...

~Tucker

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
A range of 20-60 is large and most dogs you speak of in your post (the OP) would be over 60 pounds.

I vote for an adult shelter dog or rescue from a local agency in your area.

Oh man, you guys have been incredibaly helpful. Like I said before i defiantely am adopting from a shelter and I really want a big dog... even though you know. the apartment. But that cocker spaniel was ADORABLE but I have always been in love with golden or labrador retrievers.

and to the person who said thye had a black lab? Can I have more info on that please?

Petfinder is a birlliant website, but I tihnk I'll just end up going to the nearby pound or shelter. You... can adopt dogs at a pound, right?
This is my first time doing something like this, I have alot of pet expierience, but I have never had a dog. Despite the fact that's the pet I've always wanted.

oh and another p.p.s. I am not sure abotu the 150-300 dollar adoption fee from the shelters. But I would probably be able to raise enough money to convince my mom to get me one. Are dogs free from the pound?

Oh man she seems PERFECT. $175? That isn't much, it includes toys, food, bowls, the heartworm thing, and whats the crate like?

Are you sure it's okay for her to be inside an apartment? There would be walks occuring most every day and probably twice a day sometimes.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It's a Large Vari-Kennel, the type they use on the airlines. It's durable enclosed plastic; she feels safe in there.

She needs at least one good long walk a day, two would be better and if your family was the type to go to a lake or something, she would love to go along and fetch sticks and balls out of the water and stuff. She would make a great jogging partner as well.

where do you live?

I just sent you a message. I am still hoping it works out but I don't think it will. Where there's a will, there's a way? I am visiting the OBX this summer, I would LOVE for her to come and my family goes to this lake hosue in MD occasionally, and she would LOVE it there I just know it.

Members online

No members online now.