Louisiana gassing shelter dogs get 4 days. Please adopt rescue. Wonderful dogs.

From Vermillion animal website rescue link

"One of our goals is to rescue and rehome as many animals as we can from the local Animal Control facility, located in Kaplan, LA. How is this situation different from any other town or parish/county with a pound, you ask?

There are TWO reasons:

* This facility is strictly about animal and rabies control, this pound does NOT have an adoption program to the public. What this means is that pets brought to the pound are DOOMED. No way out alive! Once they are brought to the facility, unless they are reclaimed by their owners or rescued within 4 days, they will be KILLED, since this is the purpose of the place.

Thanks to an agreement between the Parish and Animal Aid for Vermilion Area (AAVA), pets can be "pulled" from the facility by 501(c)3 organizations.
What this means is that the lives of the pets in the facility depend solely on animal welfare groups. If you are with a rescue group, please consider helping us save these pets. AAVA simply cannot handle the situation alone.

* Many more pets would be housed in other pounds with the same number of kennels but this facility is under an older court order forbidding it from overcrowding. One Dog Per Cage! wich makes it even more urgent to pull pets from the facility."

It is disgusting. If you live in the area and want to volunteer here is the application.

Animal Aid of Vermilion Area - Volunteer

I don't live in the area but am in contact with a rescuer who does and she told me the animals get no medical care even if they are seriously like in getting dehydrated vomitting or sick in other ways.Rescue is their only hope. Please send this information to any rescue or person who might want to help. Looking at these animals whose misfortune it is to be taken to this place makes me want to cry too. They did nothing wrong to be treated with such disregard. Some of them are owner surrenders and some of them must have been loved once.

Last edited:

Miakoda

Elizabetty, where are you located? Can you get me any more information?

I'm going to write a letter asap and push it to the local media stations here in Baton Rouge. Gas chamber? Not allowing adoptions? These are the stories that a certain news anchorman likes to do. I'm going to push this!

Members online

No members online now.