dachshunds

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
My husband's friends were looking into dachshunds and I just so happened to find one at a shelter. He is a young adult (looks like he's a over a year) and he's neutered. It says he needs help with his housebreaking though. I was wondering are dachshunds pretty smart when it comes to the housebreaking thing or would it take them some time to get him to learn? I know people tell me all the time that husky's take time to housebreak and I have come to find out that our husky is taking forever, I don't think she likes to go outside. I want to sound a little knowledgeable about the breed so if they get it I can help them. Any useful information on dachshunds would be appreciated. THANKS!

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Actually, dachshunds they tend to be one of the hardest breeds to house train. My brother has a really beautiful one... one of the nicest dogs I've ever met too.

But he got it already house trained...

bubbatd

I wish I could help. I've only known 2...one was house broken...the other only went inside on papers....but I think that was the owners fault. Hope it works out !

Ash47

Taco Dog
Doxies tend to be a little temperamental in my experiences. Usually this is because the owners like to spoil them rotten to the core. It's ok to spoil them to a point, but not to where they snap at anyone but their owner. I haven't met many a Doxie that was nice. But, it all depends on how your friends will do with training him. Best of luck!

Baileys

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5588
well... We've got one (Bailey) who is almost 6 yrs old, and he still has accidents inside. We take him for walks usually every 2 hours just to make sure he doesn't go inside. They're very stubborn and tempermental. (Spiteful if they are punished or not allowed to do as they please.)

Check out what people had to say on this forum also.

Last edited:
I have an adult male. He's 2 yrs old, and I have to admit that he was really hard to potty train. He still has an accident once in a while. He needs to go out often.

Other then that, he is one if the best dogs that I've ever had

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Well unfortunetely our friends didn't get that dog (he was already adopted out when we went to get him). They're still looking into them though, I guess his wife really likes how they look and she's wanted one for a long while. I made sure that I told them what people have been saying about being hard to potty train and everything but she's determined to get one.

Brattina88

Not to discourage, just to add one experiance. One of my girl friends has an 8yr old that will 'go' in the basement if they forget to put the gate up Still. She'll hold it for a long time, and she'll scratch at the door once, but if no one pays attention to her she'll find a spot inside without hesitation.

Baileys

Not only are they not backward about pottying in the house at any time, (and as I stated before, very spiteful and strong willed when they want to be).... they also attach themselves to one person and one person only. They tend to be very territorial when it comes to that person also. My aunt got one because she loved Bailey. The one she got was a puppy, and has attached itself to my uncle and it won't even let her near him now, lol. I tried to tell her before she got it that Bailey was the same way, but, yanno how it is. Gotta learn first hand before you believe it.

We're having a very difficult time with Bailey right now because we just moved 2 weeks ago. We have all of our furnishings and things in the new place (an apartment), and we walk him at least once an hour to prevent oopsies. Our problem is, he poops on the dining room floor under our dining room table everytime we leave him for more than half an hour at a time. I've thought at first that it was an adjustment thing, but you would think that after having had his nose rubbed in it and his butt smacked with a rolled up paper (not hard, can't stand to think I actually hurt him), that he would get the drift. I can walk him while my boyfriend is gone at work and the dog will not use the bathroom for me. Let me leave for 20 minutes, and come home, and he will have pooped. Our old furnishings still smell like home to him, so I don't know what his problem is. Anybody got any ideas?...

Not to scare your friend off or deter her from having one, they are good cuddlers and sweet dogs when they want to be (if a bit on the attention hog side), but they are a lot of work.

Also, you have to be careful with punishing them for pooping in the house (or at least we do with Bailey) because they are sensitive and will eat it in order to keep from being found out. He's not done that for several years, but it may still be something that they do as a breed. I hope nobody else has the problem with theirs "cleaning" out the litter box for them the way ours does for us lol.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
My pit mix is the same way. You can just take him outside, he won't go, I'll go to take a shower and I'll come back and he's gone in his cage. I think he is just jealous if I spend time alone with one of the other dogs or don't give him EXACTLY what he wants WHEN he wants it. I don't really have any good housetraining ideas for that though. Does Bailey watch you clean up his mess? He might think it is a game or something. I've heard a few people say not to let him watch you clean it up or he will treat it like a game.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
was he easy to housebreak. I have really been trying to get these people to look into other breeds as well but my husband's wife is DEADSET on getting a dachsund. It makes me mad because I know the only reason that she wants one is because she thinks they are cute. Which they are cute dogs but there are A LOT of other things to consider when getting a dog rather than just cuteness.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
My brother has a dachshund and they are the most WONDERFUL dogs once they are house trained. :D

My brother's Dox wouldn't hurt a fly. In fact, he had a roommate with a cat that would paw at the dog and the Dox would just run away for some cuddling! :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of him--in my brothers messy, messy room:

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
yes the dog is very cute. I was hoping that these people would do some research on the breed before getting one but they insist they know what they are doing. They have an older dog rescue dog too, she's a 10 year old greyhound mix. I know they did the rub their nose and spank the butt hosuebreaking method. I'm hoping they will try a different approach if they get a new doggie.

Julie, one of the members here came up with a novel - and very effective way to deal with the housebreaking/scolding problem. She scolded the puddle or pile where her dog could see and hear her do it. He got the idea that those things weren't supposed to be in the house and were very naughty to be there - now how funny is that? :D

Something that people forget about Dachsunds is that they aren't just cute little companion dogs. These are brave little monsters who were bred to go down into badger holes after the badgers! Even the mildest mannered Dachsund has a heart that is ready to hunt badgers. No wonder they're stubborn!

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Renee750il said:
Julie, one of the members here came up with a novel - and very effective way to deal with the housebreaking/scolding problem. She scolded the puddle or pile where her dog could see and hear her do it. He got the idea that those things weren't supposed to be in the house and were very naughty to be there - now how funny is that? :D

Something that people forget about Dachsunds is that they aren't just cute little companion dogs. These are brave little monsters who were bred to go down into badger holes after the badgers! Even the mildest mannered Dachsund has a heart that is ready to hunt badgers. No wonder they're stubborn!
I saw that you said that somewhere else and I decided to try it. During the time I started doing it--he stopped his accidents.

It does work...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Hmm... Maybe I'll try that too if my dogs have any more accidents. They haven't had an accident in awhile. Hannah will have one overy so often if I don't open the door quick enough, but that is TOTALLY my fault. Maybe that will work though.

Members online