2nd dog? Or not?

I'm at odds... I've had two big dogs for the past 10+ years. Then I lost my Yogi unexpectedly to lymphoma (had to put him down and that was the worst part of my entire life). Then only to lose my Eli a year later to LYMPHOMA (he died peacefully in his sleep, so I didn't have to make "the decision" and he was my heart dog).

Meanwhile, I've rescued Hunter who is my baby now, and he loves the company of other dogs. Yet, I find the freedom of having just one dog where I can just take him anywhere, tremendous. For instance, I'm planning on a dog vacation this summer with my Mom and two dogs would be just too much. Or, the first great day of spring I took Hunter to a huge park and just let him run -- there's no way I could do that with two dogs. I'm TORN! I want a bud for Hunter. But I'm enjoying the freedom of having just one dog! I travel alot for business and can always depend on family to help me out... but one dog is easier than two... I think Hunter's "ok" with being an only dog. But I've just seen how he's blossomed and loved having a play mate with my recent foster and babysitting episode! Ok, we're off to do errands and shopping together!

poeluvr

i beleive in my opinion sice hunter was brought up with a dog, it might be good for you to get another one,,,for him and you...but there are lots of other matters and it is your choice:)

Saje

Island dweller
Yup your choice. Foster dogs could be an option. I really like having my three but it's hard to take them anywhere by myself. But the good thing with having three is you can leave two behind with each other and take one visiting. Ha ha. I'm no help.

It's really up to you.

candy722

I think 1 dog is managable most of the times. I want a 2nd dog but just thinking about bathing them and taking them out. I've come to conclusion that I'll stick to 1 dog for now. hehe. I would 1 more dog just to keep Toki in company when Im working or he just bugs me. BUt I thought about two dogs bugging me while Im working that will drive me insane. hahaha So I guess it's up to you.

bubbatd

Saje.....3 dogs for her would mean 4 for me when she's travelling !!! No way can 4 fit in my twin bed with me !!! I'd have to turn the bed over to them and sleep on the floor alone !!! That's not fair to Grammy !!! I need one to cuddle up with !!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
follow your heart..i believe deep inside u know what is right for both of u.

Saje

Island dweller
ha ha ha. Well then she needs three dogs and you need a king size bed. I'm such a problem solver! :p lol

Doberluv

Can you dig up some doggie friends that could get together a couple of times a week? Like a playdate? If you think you'd be over loaded, that's no good. I think your dog could adjust to being an only child as long as you are there with him a lot and he has lot of attention and all. It sounds like he has a very loving owner so I wouldn't worry about that. He could probably adjust better than you could adjust. If you got too busy with trips and everything else and didn't end up having enough time for a new dog, that wouldn't be so good either. But, like everyone said, I guess you have to follow your heart. And throw in a little logic too. Mix it all up and see what you come up with. Good luck. Best wishes.

bubbatd

That would mean adding an extention to by bedroom..!!!!! I could always move into the living room...2 futons = 2 Queensize !

Thanks for all your replies. I think I've just got the "Mamma Guilts" because I've seen Hunter have fun with a partner dog for the past 10 days, but he's back to his same self tonight. I think he's a rubberband dog that just goes with the flow and is fine with whatever he gets. I took him to run errands tonight and he was quite happy. He's snoozing right now and quite content. He gets to play with his buddies quite often (my Mom's and Sister's dogs). So, I guess he'll live for now! ;)

mommyof4

My oldest dog Sydney grew up with her sister, who was actually my roomate's dog. When my roomate moved out I thought I would have some major issues. I was wrong. While she loved to play with other dogs, I think she enjoyed being the queen dog in the house. She knew when I came home I was all hers. If I brought home a toy, she knew it was just for her. And without the second dog, she had the other half of the bed all to herself. Eventually, I wanted another dog (ended up with three more lol.) and when I brought Malcolm home, I swear she was mad at me. She kept giving me this look that said "We were fine on our own and now look what you did." My point is that your dog will more than likely adjust to being the lone dog.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
How about a cat?!! Gus has endless hours of fun playing with his kitty!!!! :D ANd she thinks she's a dog so it's great!!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Gus, the cat's a great idea. CJ would love being the only dog in a house full of cats.

Now, the other option is maybe Grammy needs to get a present of a king size bed so everyone will sleep comfortably.

bubbatd

Hunter already has 2 cats to play with. I've got a Queen size in spare bedroom. I like my little maple twin bed....was my grandma's and I got her set when I was 7. Nash has it's mate.

Ok, I'm over it! :p Hunter enjoys being King Dog, too. He's just a rubberband and adjusts to anything! Plus, he's always jealous when I'm loving on another dog -- comes up and crams his head between us so I HAVE to love on him! :rolleyes: Think I'll stay with one -- for "now"... ;)

Members online

No members online now.