The Venting Thread

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I've got a 96 Jeep with 240xxx miles on it and it still runs like a hoss. Older cars aren't always a bad thing. Hell, my mothers newer car with 78xxx on it has more problems than my Jeep does.

DJEtzel

We where just offered 5,000 for our 96 ford 1500 , may be a 94 m i forget.
It is in to good of shape to let go.

Beanie , I wish ya was closer I would make my hubby fix ya car for free.
I pretty much ran mine into the ground and still got 2grand out of it. I only paid 4 in 2009 for it!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Beanie , I wish ya was closer I would make my hubby fix ya car for free.
My dad is my mechanic most of the time. Unfortunately the BCM is the sort of thing that actually needs a computer to reprogram, or the car just won't run. And those computers are so expensive that even a lot of smaller body shops just don't have them.

The funny thing about old cars versus new cars... you know how many computers my car has? Three. You know how many a new car has? Double-digits. It's getting really hard for the small shops to fix a lot of things because of all the computers involved. =/

noludoru

Bored Now.
FourTEEN??? Wow! At that stage I think I would be cutting my losses with that car ... Unless your keeping it for the collection value.

I'm lucky, OH has a friend who is a jockey but also does mechanic work on the side for a fraction of what a garage cost.
I was going to ask you to shut up about things you know nothing about, but then I took a step back and realized how hard you just made me laugh.

Please continue.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
My dad is my mechanic most of the time. Unfortunately the BCM is the sort of thing that actually needs a computer to reprogram, or the car just won't run. And those computers are so expensive that even a lot of smaller body shops just don't have them.

The funny thing about old cars versus new cars... you know how many computers my car has? Three. You know how many a new car has? Double-digits. It's getting really hard for the small shops to fix a lot of things because of all the computers involved. =/
YES ~ those brains are why he has quit being a mechanic. I swear they make newer cars to break and make them so that the dealerships are the only ones who can fix them.

We have a 1984 Chev Blazer, diesel and a 1986 Lincoln town car, and have been offered 15,000 for each of them...hubby won't sell them because they were the vehicles his parents bought themselves when he was a child so he grew up with them...boys are weird!

Maybe you just need to keep it longer?

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
My first car was an 88 Jeep that I got in 1999 and lasted me almost 4 years, but it was a dud and the engine was mostly new by the time it died. My car right now is a 96 Jeep that I've had a few years, and except minor issues that the previous owners didn't keep current, it's been a fine little car. Though I am trying to replace it some time this year with something newer. Which most likely will be a POS cuz they just don't make them like they used to!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Tornado watch here until 4AM. There's a big nasty looking cell coming right at us on the radar. I'm tired and today sucked so I was thinking about getting in bed early... better not. I'm predicting we'll all be huddled in the basement shortly. =/

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Huh. Well now I know what an "extreme alert" is from Verizon - apparently a tornado warning totally counts as extreme - and what it sounds like on my cellphone. That's kinda cool I guess. That might wake me up in the middle of the night!

Members online