Itching for a new reason Neccy

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Neccy is growing hair through thick scar tissue where she hasn't had hair for years. IT itches. and itches. I have tried lotion, and a bath tonight and still. IT is the two strips down her side that she had scratched into bloody mess when she lived with the wheat allergy that has now healed, but has stiff hair growing through it. That is driving her and thus me, nuts., I promised her she would never itch again, but I am stumped. Any ideas?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I tell you what, it is worse when she tries to walk. Surely this won't last long. THe bath at first made it worse, I did use conditioner to try to soften the skin, then I thought omg that might have made it worse, but this morning she seems to be itching much less. Will try again tomorrow. I just don't want to see this dog scratch one itch ever again. Enough is enough is enough is enough. I will check into topical anestuff and will also call the clinic and see if they have ideas.

I swear hair must grow at night. scratch scratch. but it is not the allergy because her skin is bright and healthly looking and not damp and moist and awful. I can tell if she has had so much as a quarter of a cracker because that is all it takes to have a reaction.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier

Itch itch itch. Our walk this morning was a disaster. Back to the tub? Soaking seems to be the only thing that really helps..that and massage. I won't let her scratch it with her nails. Which means keeping a constant eye, ear on her.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am afraid to put a topical on it because I am afraid she would lick it off. Any thoughts on this? It doesn't look red or irritated, it isnt' moist. HEr diet is spot on. So I think the hair growing in is the only issue. I have a call in to the humane society clinic but haven't heard back yet. I have to take Mom's dog in tomorrow so maybe I will just take her too but I hate to pay an office visit if there is an easy fix.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Thrush cream? Just a thought, its meant to stop itching on lady bits... So imagine its quite sensitive!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Do you mean yeast medicine? That's a thought. I still have a tube left from the original swabbing her down from head to toe before we could see the vet. I will give it a spot test. I put warm compresses on tonight instead of soaking her yet again in the tub. I tried conditioner, still haven't heard back from the vet, but will be going there day after tomorrow. In the meantime, thanks for the ideas. She was able to play "the game"tonight without itching. THe game is Victor's and Pepper's walk substitute when I don't feel well enough to take them out. I hide pieces of hot dogs and cheese and they get to race around and find it. SHe was able to race around too and find a few without itching interfering so something must be helping.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
The same. I am going to take her in with Mr. Shaffer Friday. Maybe she can just go for company and it can be brought up in conversation. Mr. Shaffer needs ear meds. I am changing him to grain free with the very next bag. Thank you so much for asking, it means a lot.

MicksMom

That's kind of what Caleb looks like on his inner thigh/belly and armpit areas. I usually rub either Benadryll cream or a cortizone cream into it. That seems to help a little. I've also washed those areas with warm water and antibactireal hand soap, and another time with an all natural, tearless baby shampoo. The hand soap worked the best out of the two. What has worked the absolute best, tho, is a bath with hypo allergenic shampoo that I picked up at Cherrybrook last week, and spraying with Benadryll spray as needed (in addition to Benadryll in his meals). For Caleb we're pretty sure it's something in the environment- pollen/grass, etc.

Members online

No members online now.