Ugggh... GOD. They wanna breed Keita..

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
Well, this really made me feel sick inside.

Remember Keita? The extremely undersized (around 25 pounds at full grown) merle Aussie with behavioral issues (biting, snapping, barking, etc.)? The one I baby sat for a month or two for my friend's (sort of cousins)?

Well..Jesus! They have her now and my cousins are 12 and 8. Well, their mom said they can BREED Keita if they can find a boy Aussie to breed her with!

And as long as the male is a purebred they can breed her!

:yikes:

And the little girl said, "You can have one of the puppies".
I said "No", because I am NOT a fan of her dog, nor am I a fan of getting a puppy from someone who bred their dog without papers and with behavior issues.

Jordan, the oldest of the two kids, obviously is not mature enough to understand because I tried to explain to her that she should NOT be breeding her dog, because there are enough puppies out there needing homes and the dog does not have papers, to add to that she is very snappy and can be extremely aggresive.

Her little friends insisted that she should breed Keita because the puppies would be "Soooo cute".

I'll need to talk to her mom about this, I guess.

*sigh* Kids.. :rolleyes: (You know, I never was and never will be a fan of 'em).

I wouldn't blame the kids. I was one of those kids that didn't understand that breeding was bad (And didn't understand until I was 16 and joined a pet forum where people taught me). We had a few dachshund litters, and I bragged about them and thought the puppies were oh so adorable!!

Its the parents fault!!

wishbone

Sad but wrong knowledge are passing through younger people. My classmate's brother even advertising their dog to have good coat pattern (yin yang pattern where he modified out of the dog's black spots) to find people who will buy a puppy when he breed him with their other dog.

Romy

Taxiderpy
How about you put together a list of how much it will cost to worm, vaccinate, and feed a litter of 9-ish puppies until they are 8 weeks old. And hand her a giant stack of printouts of aussies on petfinder, and ask her if she thinks all the puppies will have homes by 8 weeks old.

As for the kids, you could try and get them involved in helping at the animal shelter. Maybe after the first few litters of "soooo cute!" puppies are euthanized because they came in with parvo and there was no room to treat them they might see things a little differently.

perla123

How about you put together a list of how much it will cost to worm, vaccinate, and feed a litter of 9-ish puppies until they are 8 weeks old. And hand her a giant stack of printouts of aussies on petfinder, and ask her if she thinks all the puppies will have homes by 8 weeks old.

As for the kids, you could try and get them involved in helping at the animal shelter. Maybe after the first few litters of "soooo cute!" puppies are euthanized because they came in with parvo and there was no room to treat them they might see things a little differently.
:hail::hail::hail:n These people need a good eye opening!

Romy

Taxiderpy
Also, PLEASE let them know the dangers of merle to merle breeding. The aussie breed club forbids it and has some good articles about the perils. If they do decide to go ahead and breed her anyway, at least maybe there won't be deaf/blind/horrible temperamented puppies produced.

Make sure to mention that people don't like to buy deaf and blind dogs.

^^^ Great suggestions in the first paragraph ... as well as the warnings in a later post against breeding merle-to-merle.

But ... it would not likely be possible to get the kids involved in volunteering at the local animal shelter. SmexyPibble said the kids are 12 and 8 yrs old ... far too young. Most shelters now have age limits of at least 16 yrs. old; some require volunteers to be 18 yrs. old ... a consequence of societies that have become too litigious.

Shelters are under-funded as it is in most areas .... they simply cannot afford the insurance that would be necessary if they allowed other people's minor children to act as volunteers ... much less the potential lawsuits if anything happened.

Members online