dobes and kiddos?

milos_mommy

All you dobe people, how are your dobes with kids?

I love Dobes. I'll for sure own one one day. I definately want kids one day, and my top "family dog" choice is a smooth collie.

I'm definately considering a dobe as my next furkid. When i get my next dog it will probably be in a couple of years when i'm on my own, and i want a big "scary" dog to keep away potential troublemakers. However, it's likely the next dog will be around when i have lil' ones i want to make sure they'll fit into that plan.

Also, any other dobe info you think i should know?

Toller_08

Winston adores kids - they're his favourite "thing" ever! All except for three of the other Dobermans I know (about 20 or so) love kids as well. :)

My grandmother had a dobe when I was a kid and he was wonderful with all of us grandchildren. You couldn't ask for a better pal.

ACooper

I'm sorry, I didn't see this yesterday!

I was around dobes as a kid.......neighbors had them, and we had one when I was 16, he was MY dog and I had him until my first son was nearly 5.

I was the oldest and had 4 younger siblings down to age 8. He was our friend, protector, accomplice, and all around good dog :) He was GREAT with my son (even as a toddler) as well.

Dobes are naturally VERY protective of "their" people by nature, I remember one particular episode where my dad came outside yelling at us kids for something. Then when my dad started toward my 10 year old sister while still yelling PJ came charging out snarling, teeth showing, and hackles up!

Now understand that he and my dad got on VERY well, but PJ just felt like my sister could be in danger and he acted. Luckily my dad just laughed it off and said that PJ was just doing what a good dog should by protecting his "charges" but I can tell you my dad made sure the dog was NOT present for any other discipline session after that ;)

As with ANY dog, it's important to expose them to children ASAP. It will make your job easier if they are comfortable with kids from the start.

Here is Orson after a "football game" with my next to yougest son, see how vicious he is?

ETA: As for other info you should know..........if you don't plan on rescuing, be SURE to go to a reputable breeder, one that breeds for sound temperament and health. Dobermans suffer a lot of health issues, and their life expectancy isn't really much past 9-10 years old. (and THAT is considered LONG for them)

I am sure you already know this......but I added for other browsers just in case :)

I worry more about the Dobes than the kids LOL My children were raised with Dobes, but I taught the kids how to treat the dogs :)

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
http://bakaridobes.westhost.com/dobekids.htm

The above links says it all!

But seriously, Dobes are great family dogs. They are, however, very protective of their people, and any brutality that befalls a child will not make the Dobe happy at all.

llsa befriended a neighbor kid. One day the kid was followed home by a bully. I had Ilsa outside, and the bully came up on the neighbor kid and shoved him to the ground and started yelling at him. Ilsa bolted over, knocked the bully off the neighbor kid, stood between them, and barked at the bully until he ran off. This kid wasn't even Ilsa's family, and yet she felt the need to protect him.

Many breeders focus on longevity. Ilsa and Ronin's relatives have lived very long, healthy lives. If you go with a breeder, be sure to ask about the lifespan of the dogs they've produced, as well as temperament. Temperament is VERY important for a family dobe!

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Rumor loves kids, and will make an attempt to meet any and every kid she sets her sights on. My old Dobe, Duke, was also great with kids.

milos_mommy

any dog if raised with kids or brought up the right way will get along with kids
this isn't true.

Thanks for everyone's comments!
I'd probably rescue an adult (2 or so?) Dobe, at this point, because i don't think i could handle an 80 pound "puppy", and since i don't plan on showing, rescuing seems logical :) Of course this isn't for another maybe 5 years...or...three...or...two....where does all the time go?!?

Would a Dobe be okay in an apartment if they were getting sufficiant exercise? I know most dogs are okay if they're getting plenty of stimulation, but as far as i know dobes aren't "talkative", like collies (another top choice)

ACooper

but as far as i know dobes aren't "talkative", like collies (another top choice)
I agree with that statement :) Orson barks when he needs to bark. When he hears the neighbors coming or going it doesn't make him bark. He DOES get on his 'alert' stance, ears forward, hard stare, standing stark still.

He only barks when someone is ACTUALLY close to our house, front/backyard, or porch. Property that he KNOWS belongs to him.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
IMO Dobermans are talkative, but not like a Collie is talkative. Many Collies I know just bark to bark. Bark bark bark bark bark, isn't this fun, bark bark bark bark bark.

Dobes will bark, but they bark to communicate something.

Bark! There's someone at the door! Bark bark bark! There's someone strange in the yard, can I kill 'em? Ah woo woo woo, feed me please! Yarrrrrrow, I'm bored! Grunt grunt, I can't get comfortable on only half the couch, move your butt so I can stretch out!

My dobes are vocal, but not loud. They grunt, squeak, rawrarawr, gargle, yodel, warble, etc. But, every one of their noises is a clear communication of their mood and/or desires. Ilsa is much more vocal than Ronin in expressing that she wants something, whereas Ronin is much better at expressing his happiness asa resuly of you doing something for him:

Uhhn uhhn uhhn... Ilsa has to poop.
AhhhwwwwwwwOOOoooOOOOoooooOOOEEEEEEEaaahhh ... Ilsa wants food.
Ah ROO ROO ROO! ...Ilsa wants to go for a walk.

Ummmmhhhh... Ronin thinks you give good ear scritchies.
Hyummmpf! ...Ronin likes that he gets to snuggle with you on the couch
Gurgle gurgle gurgle... Ronin likes that you are scratching his tummy (usually followed up by a big wet sneeze in your face)

milos_mommy

Bark! There's someone at the door! Bark bark bark! There's someone strange in the yard, can I kill 'em? Ah woo woo woo, feed me please! Yarrrrrrow, I'm bored! Grunt grunt, I can't get comfortable on only half the couch, move your butt so I can stretch out!

Uhhn uhhn uhhn... Ilsa has to poop.
AhhhwwwwwwwOOOoooOOOOoooooOOOEEEEEEEaaahhh ... Ilsa wants food.
Ah ROO ROO ROO! ...Ilsa wants to go for a walk.

Ummmmhhhh... Ronin thinks you give good ear scritchies.
Hyummmpf! ...Ronin likes that he gets to snuggle with you on the couch
Gurgle gurgle gurgle... Ronin likes that you are scratching his tummy (usually followed up by a big wet sneeze in your face)

this is like the soundtrack of my life :rolleyes:

ACooper

Oh ya Sizzle.........how could I have left out the "dober-moans" LOL

The older Orson gets the more moany groany he becomes, hehehehe, not to mention the arooooo's when talking to me or his toys!

I LOVE IT!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Are you two sure you didn't accidentally take home Cider ;)

Older she gets the more noises she makes.. And the more she barks to listen to herself bark, haha.

It's awesome to hear about the personalities of people's doberkids though. They are on my future top 6 or so breed list.

Members online