Puppy Under Couch!

Luna is often trying to get under the couch. I can't tell if it's because we won't let her get on the couch with us, and she thinks that will get her there, or if it's for some other reason. We have placed a bunch of books and storage containers to make it difficult for her, but she is still trying.

Any insight into this behaviour? Any ideas for training her out of it?

Thanks.

Maxy24

Do you want to stop it or just want to know why she's doing it? Maybe she just wants to get away for a bit, does she have a crate or another place all her own?

bubbatd

Mine all tried to get under things .... let them ! Soon they get too big and you have to help them out !! I never had crates , but would make " houses " for mine out of a big box . Puppy tents ...............

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I'm probably waaaaay off base here, but could it possibly be the whole "den" feeling?
(waits for knowledgeable people to throw rocks at me)

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Smudge's breeder had a bench and other furniture on the porch where the puppies played.

When Smudge came home, he spent a lot of time in my room playing under my bed, or under my window bench. I was afraid he was fearful and hiding, kept trying to stop it.

He found it comforting. It was like home had been, and he likes to chew toys there. He sleeps under my window bench still, rarely burrows under my bed. For him it was never a lack of confidence or shyness though.

showpug

Gloria's favorite spot is under our couch. It doesn't bother me at all because all my pugs loved it under there when they were pups. It's part of puppy exploring. Soon she'll be too big to fit so I let it slide. I only let her in the family room when I know she is "empty" and that there is no chance of an accident under the couch.

Doberman mommy

I love Dobe kisses!
Leo likes to get under ours as well, but we also let him on in with us as well. No idea how to tell you to stop it. I would recommend letting him, he might just need an "away" place, unless he's being destructive, he will eventually be too big and wont be able to anymore.

bubbatd

All my litters had large pipes , boxes , etc in their play area after 5 weeks old .... it's comforting them to snuggles under things ..... have you ever seen a litter not being huddled together ???

Thanks everyone. We really didn't want her going under there cause she can get way out of reach and if her collar were to get caught it could be scary.

Anyway - we resorted to the watergun trick from Gwen Bailey's book - The Perfect Puppy.

Everytime she would try to get under....without her seeing we would squirt her with the gun....after 3 or 4 squirts....she has not gone back.

just thought i'd share.

the book recommends this technique for controlling chewing on carpets etc.

the trick is not to let the puppy see you squirt so they wont try the behaviour even when youre not around.

Members online

No members online now.