Grooming help- flattening their fur

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My dogs are both cowlick city and I was just wondering for fun if there was a way to really flatten out their hair. Especially Mia, lately she looks like a walking furball. I am jealous of Nard because he has nice papillon hair that just air dries flat and pretty.

I'm really bad in that generally I let them air dry so maybe If I really combed them and blow dried them it'd work. Is there a product you can use to keep their hair flat?

I miss the days Mia's hair looked like this:

vs this:

DSC_1342 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

I know a lot is maturity and being spayed but is there a way to tame it at least some?

Last edited:

Brattina88

I have a similar problem with Maddie when's he air dries. Blow drying, brushing and fluffing works! ;) I personally wouldn't put any product like that on my dogs... They lick and stuff, I wouldn't want to risk it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was such a thing though lol

Did you try it?

This is a bit old but I just wandered down to the grooming section on a whim (so many grooming threads are posted to the general forum).

Anyway, what Sizzle said! Bathe, dry, then clip a dish towel over Mia. Even if you do not blow dry, squeeze as much water out as possible (do not ruffle the hair when toweling dry), then drape a dish towel over her and secure it with safety pins, binder clips, clamps, etc.

A perfectly lazy solution.

Have you done it? Any difference?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well I blew them out and put a towel over them. It helped... kinda maybe for a little bit. Summer still looked wild as usual but Mia looked better. But by day 3 or so it was back to normal and Mia looked like a puffball.

Video of drying

Well I blew them out and put a towel over them.
How are you drying them? In some breeds, the dryer is used to fluff the coat. In others, it is used to straighten the coat. Technique makes the difference. I don't have enough knowledge to recommend products for flattening, though I'm sure there are.

Here is a Pure Paws video of a Pap b & b. The groomer is brushing the coat straight while pointing the dryer down.

Members online

No members online now.