Dog Proof Trash Can?

Ok, so Kaylee won't stay out of the garbage. Like at all. If I don't empty it and something like the bottom of meat packages is put in there she will eat it while you are standing there.

SO I'm looking for a solution other than a baseball at to the nose, anyone have any garbage cans that are dog proof or at least resistant? She doesn't typically knock it over, just lifts the lid and dives in.

joce

We just have the biggest one they sell. Dogs can't reach in unless it's spilling over. Lid fits on tightly and it's only tipped once when blitz ran straight into it aimed at the bottom running like a nut. Not pretty but does the job! Garbage bags are more expensive to.

Or what about a tiny in the cabinet one with a cabinet lock?

Doberluv

I gave up and keep it in the cupboard under the sink, with toddler locks on the cupboard door.
That's what I've always done...in the past house. This new house, Jose` hasn't generalized the behavior or hasn't tried it yet, so I haven't put the child proof lock on the cabinet. Hopefully, he won't try it. I think after a long time of being unsuccessful, they're less apt to try it. But I think keeping it out of sight helps keep it out of mind, even if they can smell it. But yeah, the safest bet is keeping it locked up so they physically can't get to it.

lizzybeth727

I keep mine in the cabinet under the sink, too. At my old apartment I kept it in the pantry. IMO it's kind of gross to have the garbage sitting out in the middle of the kitchen anyway, but I guess I've just gotten used to having it out of sight.

Keegan's just figured out how to get into the garbage in my bathroom, though. :rolleyes: I have a sturdy metal can with a lid, and it's shoved back into the corner by the toilet. I have no idea how he gets his body back there, let alone gets the lid open. I think I'm going to move it to the cabinet under the sink, too.

It was actually the cats who learned to open the cabinets, then the dogs would pull the can out. Stupid double-teaming me. :mad:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
We tried the step garbages and our dogs eventually figured that on out so finally we just gave up and put the garbage under the sink lol

We put a rubber band around the little knobs to open the cabinet. They haven't tried opening it but we figure better safe than sorry and hope they kinda try and fail then wait until they get the reward of succeeding lol

CaliTerp07

I have this one:

http://www.simplehuman.com/products/trash-cans/plastic-cans/deluxe-semi-round-plastic.html

It's awesome. The lock is really, really stiff (like, would be difficult even for a child to open), so there's no hope of Lucy figuring out how to open it. The problem is I sometimes forget to latch it, and then all hope is lost. This is the dog who opens the pantry and pulls out whatever's on the bottom shelf, climbs onto counters, and opens zippers. If there were a way to unlatch it, she'd have figured it out by now.

Yeah, putting it in a cabinet isn't doable in our house, not set up right, not a lot of storage and shelves in all the ones that we do have.

CaliTerp, that's great to hear!! And I can get it on Prime Amazon for 40 dollars. Worth it I think!

ACooper

I went through this with Orson for the longest time! ARGH! It's so hard for him to resist when the trash can is at nose level, sort of like a drive thru buffet. Not to mention sooooooooooo self rewarding. Anyway, I'll quit rambling and get to the point.

We tried a few different kinds of trash cans to no avail. Kevin ended up building me a heavy trash 'box' He got some MDF board, measured the trash can, and built a box just the right size for the can to fit down in. He included a lid with a drawer knob. He painted it all white, I put white plastic contact paper on the inside so it was easily wiped clean if something from the trash spilled and viola.........Trash fortress of Orson's doom was born :D The lid was much too heavy for him to attempt a raid.

We used this box for over a year until Orson's habit was broken. Now we have a regular trash can that has a foot step to pop the lid up. Just an average plastic white one from Walmart. We've used it over a year now and have had zero trash raiding incidents :)

jjpreneur

Dog proof trash can

A buddy of mine, who is an aerospace engineer and mechanical engineer, and myself are working on this problem. We are making a dog proof trash can at MansBestCan.com. We want something at the $50 price point rather than the $100+ options out there.

Members online