Poor Broken Traveler

My stupid dog is trying to give me a heart attack.

At the dog park yesterday a guy thought it was a good idea to kick the tennis ball to his dog instead of throw it. And poor Traveler was standing about two feet away when the guy kicked it and it slammed into Trav's face/eye.

Traveler starts crying and screaming, tucked tail, wouldn't open his eye....and went and got the tennis ball. But after that he came over to me and when he finally got his eye open around it was already swelling and that pupil was contracted. It is not a good feeling having your dog come up to you with two different sized pupils. My heart just dropped.

Once we got out of the dog park and on the way home you could tell it was hurting him, he was sitting in the back crying and then crawled up onto my lap and pretty much tried to get in my pocket. But I got him home, gave him some aspirin for the swelling and had him curl up by me. Sent a message to a good friend that's a vet tech that I trust, panicked to Aleron a bit who googled it for me since I refused to and gave me the none scary version (thank you again for that Nikki) and around 8ish his eye was looking much better.

As it stood tonight it was almost back to normal, still not completely the same size but I can at least look at him without my eyes watering and I actually have to try and tell if one is smaller than the other. Vet tech friend said give it a day but it sounds like he'll be ok. No scratching or rubbing at it so not scratched eyeball we think and he seems to not be in pain any longer.

A minute or so before it happened.

IMG_2204 by Traveling Koolie, on Flickr

Stupid dog.

mrose_s

BusterLove
poor Trav. :(

I gave up kicking tennis balls when I went to kick one for Buster years ago and kicked him square in the face because he went for it at the last moment.

Glad he's feeling better now. Poor boy.

Snark

Mutts to you
Poor boy! Glad he's feeling better and I hope the doofus who kicked the ball apologized.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
*hugs for you and trav*

Poor thing! When Violet was little, she came up to me with one pupil dialated and one not. I started freaking out, crying, I thought she was blind or something. I looked it up, and figured she must've been whipping a toy around and hit her face on something. Later that night her eye was completely fine though, so hopefully Traveler will be fine in no time!

Taqroy

Awww poor Trav. I hope he's feeling better today!!

On a side note: I once hit my parent's dog in the face with a snow shovel. She liked to chase the snow when you were shoveling and she misjudged while I wasn't paying attention and BAM. Snow shovel to the face. Worst. Feeling. Ever.

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Glad Traveler is feeling a bit better today, poor guy! :(

A few weeks ago, my little cousin wanted to through the ball for Harleigh with the "cool ball thing" (chuckit). He threw it and it smacked right into Harleigh's ribs... I felt so bad!

Stupid guy kicking tennis balls... :rolleyes: Hopefully Trav is back to his awesome self in no time!

Looks about the same as it did last night. Still not even but the hurt one is only a little bit contracted so I'm not really as worried. Still worried because I'm a neurotic dog owner but I think he's going to be fine.

Though, he would like me to stop making him sit and focus and poking at his face.

poor Trav. :(

I gave up kicking tennis balls when I went to kick one for Buster years ago and kicked him square in the face because he went for it at the last moment.

Glad he's feeling better now. Poor boy.
Yeah, I am happy the guy didn't kick Trav because that could have been worse

Poor boy! Glad he's feeling better and I hope the doofus who kicked the ball apologized.
The guy left pretty fast after that. When he first showed up his one dog went after Keeva and then after that he kicked the ball in Traveler's face. He seemed like an ok guy but was seriously bad luck.

I saw this on Facebook, poor Trav. Bless him still getting the ball even though he was sore.

Hope his eye is on the mend now :)
The other day at the dog park him and a GSD collided when they were both chasing their balls at full speed and intersected in the middle of the field because neither could look at anything that wasn't their toys.

Anyways, Traveler slammed into the dogs side, both went flying, Traveler screamed, picked himself up and continued on to get his ball. The GSD went back to it's owner. May not be the best thing in the world but I kinda like that he continues and finishes

Awww poor Trav. I hope he's feeling better today!!

On a side note: I once hit my parent's dog in the face with a snow shovel. She liked to chase the snow when you were shoveling and she misjudged while I wasn't paying attention and BAM. Snow shovel to the face. Worst. Feeling. Ever.
Aaawwwww. Yeah, that would have been an absolute horrible feeling. but she was ok right?

SaraB

Poor Traveler! I would've been super scared too.

When my border collie was still around we took him to a dog park where someone was using a chuck to throw balls for their golden. Buddie saw the chuckit and ran straight for the ball colliding with the golden retriever head on. Knocked Buddie on his butt and he laid there not moving for about 30 seconds. Then he got up and was 100% fine. Scared the crap out of me.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Poor guy...

...sounds like the dog equivalent of a shiner.

Glad he is all better now.

Taqroy

Aaawwwww. Yeah, that would have been an absolute horrible feeling. but she was ok right?
She was fine - didn't even flinch. I stopped and checked her over and she had a little cut like 1/4 inch away from her eye. I was using a metal edged snow shovel. I was 1/4 inch from half blinding my parent's dog. :eek: I always kenneled her or left her inside after that, except for when I went out there specifically to throw snow at her. That wasn't the only time she got hit in the face either, I know my mom hit her once and I'm sure my dad did. Emmy didn't really learn from past mistakes.

JacksonsMom

UGH, poor Trav! Eye problems can be sooo scary because they often look worse than they really are. Buddy, my dads dog, all the sudden could not open his eye. We felt terrible for him, turns out it was just a little scratch and healed in a few days.

Zhucca

Lab Love
Poor Traveler. I've kicked a ball into a dog before too (though not the face - into a chest) I felt *soo* bad. What was the guy's reaction to it?

Glad he's feeling better now. Before Duke was even mine, he was around 4 months old.. just playing in daycare and I look away at some other dogs and all of a sudden Dukes' one eye was a pin prick, his other a plate.

I was FREAKING out. His owner at the time came and picked him up.. took him to the vet, vet didn't know. He was fine. Scariest looking thing I've seen a dog have in awhile though.

Members online

No members online now.