Series Recommendations

FG167

I am looking to start a new series. I like in-depth ones so I can get *really* into them.

Some of the ones I like (names of the first book, not the series' name):

Eragon
Golden Compass
Hunger Games
Outlander
Harry Potter
Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo
Twilight
Game of Thrones

Authors I read a lot of:
Nora Roberts
JD Robb
Laurell K. Hamilton
Janet Evanovich
Jodi Picoult
Kay Hooper
Karen Marie Moning

I'm feeling for another fantasy-ish series but will take any suggestions.

Fran27

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. Should keep you busy for a while, lol! Seriously... it's great. The last one (14th) will be out in January too.

Otherwise two other series that are not finished yet - The Name of the Wind from Patrich Rothfuss (second one is the Wise Man's Fear, waiting for the 3rd). Really good.

And I absolutely loved The way of Kings from Brandon Sanderson (he's the person finishing the Wheel of Time series too). But it's just the first one of a series of 10 probably... he's writing the second one right now. All that's fantasy. The Mistborn series by Sanderson is really good too.

If you like space opera, anything by Peter F.Hamilton too. Loved the series that started with Pandora Star (it's 5 books total... I think? First series is 2 then the second is 2 or 3). Another great one (6 books) starts with the Reality Disfunction.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Ilona Andrews, both the Kate Daniels series, and the Edge series.
Kelley Armstrong has a fun fantasy series..

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Neil Gaiman's work if you haven't although it's not a series. He uses a lot of the same motifs in his work. For any sci-fi/fantasy fan, I think he's a must read.

Dune is good although I really wasn't fond of the books past the first two. But the first two are really good.

Lord of the Rings is always a good one. I know a lot of people get stuck on the writing style though.

Ender's Game is good.

I know I have a lot more sci-fi/fantasy but my mind is blanking.

I've read a couple of Martha Well's books and liked them a lot.

Jenne

Ball Thrower
All of these authors have series:

Raymond E. Feist, Kristen Britian's Greenrider series is really good, Trudi Caravan, Anne Bishop is an amazing author if you like dark fantasy with adult content. If you're looking for a good light-hearted fantasy I always recommend Donita K. Paul. I always read her when I'm feeling depressed.

yoko

Ilona Andrews, both the Kate Daniels series, and the Edge series.
Kelley Armstrong has a fun fantasy series..
with the books listed, I would second these for sure!! Some of my favorites. Also will add

Keri Arthur

Yasmine Galenorn

Kim Harrison

Kevin Hearne (a bit different style, more masculine is the best I can describe but still a fun series though not as touching and drag you in as the others)

50 shades - you either love it or hate it:) If you read Laurell K I think you may be able to get into this and see what I found as a beautiful story getting into deep issues

Stacia Kane- Unholy Ghosts. This is one I just recently found and really liked. Characters really drew me in.

ETA: Kelley Armstrong actually has three of my favorite series. The Otherworld just finished with book thirteen. She also has two YA trilogies that I love

Saeleofu

Weeeellllll, there are novelisations of every or nearly every classic Doctor Who episode. It's kind of a border between fantasy and sci-fi. They're very short (under 150 pages) but there are a plethora of them. I'm pretty sad that novelisations of the new episodes don't exist. The books aren't exactly like the episodes, there are small differences and elaborations.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.

Dekka

Just try me..
If you ever want to move out of lighter fantasy Steven Erikson's Malazan book of the fallen series is great.

If you want something more deep than many in your list I HIGHLY recommend anything by Brandon Sanderson wow his stuff has blown me away.

If you want something along the lines of your current list I would recommend Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. Lots of books and good pace. I gave up on The wheel of time as it never seemed to go anywhere. Which made me sad as he had written some good characters.

Then there is also the Game of Thrones series.

I agree with the Disk world series, esp if you like somewhat dry witty british humour. (I have read them all!)

FG167

Thanks everyone! I just spent about $80 on NookBooks. The first book in a ton of the series that were suggested. If I like the first, I'll read the series and then head to the next one - I am SO EXCITED! Thanks! :D

MicksMom

Authors I read a lot of:
Nora Roberts
JD Robb
Laurell K. Hamilton
Janet Evanovich
Jodi Picoult
Kay Hooper
Karen Marie Moning

I'm feeling for another fantasy-ish series but will take any suggestions.
Well, there goes my sugegstion- I LOVE the books Nora Roberts writes under the name JD Robb.

yoko

Oh hey the Brent Weeks series I posted is kinda dark. Not so much the last two books but definitely the first one.

Dekka

Just try me..
Elantris was very good. I preferred the Way of Kings but Elantris was VERY good too.

Members online