We've decided against a dog for now - instead

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
BTW Jess, the cage you linked to, that is where we are planning on buying ours from! I hope the sale lasts!!!

I am so excited to ferret-proof the bedroom. I love doing this.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Too bad you're not closer. I'm actually considering selling my FN142 and getting a smaller cage so when I move I don't have a huge honking cage taking up space. They are currently only using the top level anyway, so I wouldn't feel bad downsizing. I wouldn't even begin to know how to ship it, let alone the cost to do so! Lol

Also, a tip. Almost everything that you can buy for ferrets (grain free food, toys, bedding, treats, litter...) can be found in the cat isle for half the price. And buying dryer tubing from the hardware store is a lot less expensive than buying a "ferret tube"!

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Great tips!! The toy shopping is my favourite part. It was when I had parrots, too.

It's as much fun for me as them I think, HA.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Question. I know most ferret places here will rarely rehome a single ferret alone.

and 2

Often feed their ferret chicks, rabbits etc.

Thoughts??
You're in the UK, right? Ferrets there are still, to this day, used to hunt rabbits and other small game. Traditionally, the ferrets are given what they catch to eat. Also, it's my understanding that there isn't much good quality kibble for ferrets sold there, so the feeding chicks and rabbits makes sense. I know a few people in the US do it too (brattina88 fed her guys mice).

As far as not selling singles... I can see the reason. Ferrets normally do best in pairs, although there are some that hate other ferrets and must be kept as singles. I believe most ferrets there are still kept in runs outside, so it would e more important to have Atleast 2 so they can keep eah other company to make up for the less human interaction compared to here (where they are kept inside and usually in a main living area so they get interaction constantly)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
You're in the UK, right? Ferrets there are still, to this day, used to hunt rabbits and other small game. Traditionally, the ferrets are given what they catch to eat. Also, it's my understanding that there isn't much good quality kibble for ferrets sold there, so the feeding chicks and rabbits makes sense. I know a few people in the US do it too (brattina88 fed her guys mice).

As far as not selling singles... I can see the reason. Ferrets normally do best in pairs, although there are some that hate other ferrets and must be kept as singles. I believe most ferrets there are still kept in runs outside, so it would e more important to have Atleast 2 so they can keep eah other company to make up for the less human interaction compared to here (where they are kept inside and usually in a main living area so they get interaction constantly)
Ah cheers.. I think 99.9% of ferrets here are now pets.. and yeah a lot are still kept outside, but a lot are also kept inside.

Just wondered :D

One of the foster carers I worked with had a massive ferret palace in her back garden. Was fab. She used to rescue them :) She also had umpteen horses and 5 dogs... I used to love visiting her house. She'd actually make sure some of the dogs were left out for me, and I used to spend 90% of the visit playing with them, and the foster kid used to say I only visited him for the dogs and ferrets :D He was right :p

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I'd really like to learn more about feeding raw. As with my cat, who is fed raw meat and a high quality grain-free kibble, can I do raw and kibble?

Doberluv

Hey! It sounds like you got some great tips. I know nothing about ferrets but I can see why they'd make fun pets. This is very exciting and I bet you're just tickled to death with anticipation. Best of luck to you!

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Hey! It sounds like you got some great tips. I know nothing about ferrets but I can see why they'd make fun pets. This is very exciting and I bet you're just tickled to death with anticipation. Best of luck to you!
Thank you!! I really am. My dad confirmed on the phone for me that a ferret sounds like the best plan.

I know it will help in the same way, or at least similar to how a psych dog would help me, but a dog is just not as logical at this moment.

I'm so excited to have a little slinky in my life again.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Kibble and raw is not suggested, it can really be hard on their tummies. It can be done, if you take away kibble 2 hours before raw and give it back 2 hours after.

I'm on my iPod again so not going to write a novel, but I've done raw and can definitely help switching a ferret to that route, if you choose :). It really is cheaper than kibble, cause other than the first few weeks, they only eat like 3oz a day LOL

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Kibble and raw is not suggested, it can really be hard on their tummies. It can be done, if you take away kibble 2 hours before raw and give it back 2 hours after.

I'm on my iPod again so not going to write a novel, but I've done raw and can definitely help switching a ferret to that route, if you choose :). It really is cheaper than kibble, cause other than the first few weeks, they only eat like 3oz a day LOL
Sorry, that's what I meant. I ALWAYS feed them separately.

Members online

No members online now.