tarter and bad breath

RoxyinLa

My toy poodle has bad breath and tarter on her teeth. I had her teeth professionally cleaned less than a year ago and already she is getting tarter on the outside of her canines. I give her chew bones and bisquits but it doesn't seem to stop it. Does anyone else have this problem and any solutions?

Saje

Island dweller
Most of us feed raw bones here. That's the best way to keep them clean and the healthiest. The kind of food you are feeding plays a huge roll in how clean the teeth are too.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
the sheltie I just got had the same problem. His breath was horrible and his teeth weren't the cleanest. We got him raw bones to chew on and although he doesn't much like them the few that he did chew on helped his teeth and breath a lot. I don't mind him panting in my face anymore. Also we switched his food to a better brand. He was on Iams tartar control or whatever it's called (go figure the food is specifically made to keep teeth clean and it was actually making them worse) and I switched him to canidae kibble and eagle pack canned. Often times if you switch to a really good quality (or better quality) food that will help with their teeth. You can try brushing the teeth as well, although the sheltie doesn't really like it too much. I also feed him better treats that are designed specifically for teeth cleaning and breath freshening and although they probably don't do much I can definetely tell a difference in his teeth from when he got here to now.

Likes others have said diet plays a huge role when it comes to a dog's teeth and their breath. Since Midnite's been on her raw diet her teeth have become cleaner and her breath isn't all that bad. She still needs a cleaning, but her teeth are much better. I believe after her cleaning her raw diet will help keep them that way.

Midnite also gets her teeth brushed 2-3 times a week. This is something that I really just started about a year ago and have continued to do on a regular basis.​

RoxyinLa

Thanks for the advice guys! Can someone tell me what type of raw bones you give your dogs and where you get them? Also, can you tell me about the raw diet? My dog eats canned, dry, and moist burger type foods from Wal Mart. I know they aren't that great, but she is picky about dog foods because my husband constantly feeds her table scraps. They BOTH need some intense re-training! Thanks for any and all advice!

Pomp

My dogs had a tarter problem when I first got them, but raw bones have worked wonders. Their teeth are as white as snow.

I give my 2 beagles chicken drumsticks & lamb neck. They have also gotten oxtail and veal too.

I buy mine at Whole Foods which is an all-organic, no antibiotic food store.

RoxyinLa said:
Thanks for the advice guys! Can someone tell me what type of raw bones you give your dogs and where you get them? Also, can you tell me about the raw diet? My dog eats canned, dry, and moist burger type foods from Wal Mart. I know they aren't that great, but she is picky about dog foods because my husband constantly feeds her table scraps. They BOTH need some intense re-training! Thanks for any and all advice!
The Raw Dog Ranch is an excellent site about the raw diet, that's where Midnite and I got started. I get Midnite's meat at our local supermarket and I get vension from my friend whose sons hunt. When I have some extra money I go shopping at this huge supermarket called Wegmans where they have all types of meats. But normally I only go shopping there on special occasions. :)

Saje

Island dweller
RoxyinLa said:
If your dog is used to table scraps you'll probably find it easy to get started on a home-prepared diet. Check out mordy's site. www.mordanna.com/dogfood She's the food guru and THE person to listen too :D

bubbatd

I've been thinking about this when Chip is in my face early morning. He's always had the sweetest breath.... in fact all my Golden's have. None of mine have every had a tartar problem. In fact, my vet mentioned that all our dogs ( EliN and NashNRudy ) all had such good teeth. We really don't give that many raw bones, but have always fed dry food . watered with " nummies ". Could it be feeding just canned.??? Yes, I have brushed in the past.. but when I check, there's no need to . Boggles my mind.!!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i'd also look into the homeopathic remedy fragaria vesca.

buy 6X or even better 3C strength, nothing higher is necessary. one pellet per day for 1-2 months until tartar is significantly reduced, then as a preventive against new tartar build up, one pellet per week for maintenance.

it might take a little while for the effect to become apparent, but it's a very good, and most importantly all natural, harmless remedy.

oh and definitely stop the wal mart food and feed a better diet! :)

Members online

No members online now.