How do you store your photos?

JacksonsMom

I'm trying to get my computer organized...

I'm totally running out of space. So I'm looking into either getting an external harddrive or just getting a new computer all together... I love my macbook, no problems at all with it, had it for 4 years now? Anyway, I'm weird tho, and I prefer to just HAVE all, or at least most of my stuff on my computer. Not on an external harddrive that I have to plug in.

I did have to put all my videos onto burned CDs. They just took up way too much space.

But where do you save your photos, how do you organize them, etc?

I make folders for each year, and then sub-folders for each month in that year, and just save it in my 'pictures' folder under 'documents'. I use iphoto to upload them, and edit them, and then delete them from there once edited and saved into the folders.

But I always get unorganized this way and forget which ones I've saved as small images, which ones I've kept as full sized, etc, so I dunno...

Just trying to get more organized:)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Flickr :p

ETA: I try to save only the ones I really like. There's no need for me to have 82 pictures from a day, when 3 or 4 are really good and all I need.

Toller_08

I try to put all of the originals on a USB stick thing every few months or so. And then Flickr has all of my edited versions.

JacksonsMom

Ugh, see, I have a HUGE problem with wanting to, like, keep them ALL .... lol. I guess that could be my first step, go through albums and delete some that just are not worth keeping at all.

I get nervous using flickr, facebook, etc, because if something were to happen and site malfunctions or whatnot, I just don't want to lose the pics.

I just remembered I have an account with box.com so maybe I'll start uploading everything there so I know I *have* it.

crazedACD

I've been working on this myself..my old computer was chock full, got a new one for Christmas.

Most of my good photos are hosted online. I prefer to keep them 'with' me as well. I had a photo host go under and I lost a LOT of good photos :(. So I moved the keepers onto a USB stick, and the really special photos to this computer. I'm trying to keep up with deleting the blurry/bad ones as I upload too.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I have an external hard drive. I need to go through all the pictures and move them onto there still, though. lol

I am planning on having one folder on the computer for each pet, with sub-folders in them. I have the original full-size picture and the edited/web version (usually just resized) of them all....

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
First, I have "dog photos" (the majority) and "everything else."
From there it's by year.

Within a single year for "dog photos," I have three folders:
-edited
-originals DSLR
-originals P&S

For "everything else" I don't separate between P&S and DSLR; it's just "edited" and "originals."

I used to cram as many photos onto a DVD as possible and burn them and I just this year saw a Pinterest pin that made me realize that was stupid... so I burn by year. I did cheat and put a few years together to avoid wasting space but I put ENTIRE years together, not just "up through this point" on one and pick that year up on another disc. =P I have them burned as a backup though and leave everything on my computer - but I have a 1 TB drive with plenty of room to do that. If I had to clear off space, I think I would burn backups as usual, then clear the originals off and leave the edited versions. Then if I wanted to look back at my originals, at least the edited version would tell me the date to pull out and pop in.

Toller_08

Ugh, see, I have a HUGE problem with wanting to, like, keep them ALL .... lol. I guess that could be my first step, go through albums and delete some that just are not worth keeping at all
I keep all of mine too, just on the USB sticks now because my computer got bogged down and ran too slow with all of the pictures on it. I used to use discs but they seem to have less room. I have a huge problem with deleting any pictures unless they really suck haha.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I have my pictures folder organized by dog, then I have trips, sometimes I'll have a special folder for things like Christmas pictures, ect

I have a photobucket hosting A LOT of old pictures that aren't on my computer. I also am learning to use Flickr and may start just keeping the edited photos there, now that I have photo editing software, and then putting the originals on my 1TB harddrive (if I could find the **** cord)

I'm running into the same issue of lack of space, and inability to delete even bad pictures. I'm also looking into Dropbox.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I have all my photos on my external hard drive now. I got 1 TB for just under $100 on sale. I organize them in folders by year and from there each session has a folder by the day it was taken.

Equinox

I bought a 1 TB external hard drive because my photos were taking up too much space (I store both jpeg and raw files). I also just got a new PC and hoping to buy a second internal hard drive, hopefully 500 GB to 1 TB.

Before that I regularly cleaned out my laptop because a lot of the temp files were taking up MASSIVE amounts of space. Once it deleted almost 16 GB (yes, GB!) in memory. Most of my P&S pictures are stored on my father's external hard drive, because I didn't have one at the time. Storing in CD's and online scare me, to :p

My photos aren't really organized, just automatically sorted by date. Sometimes they are titled but usually they aren't, which sucks for me when I'm trying to find something.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Organization... what's that...

My pictures are all over the place. Just in the past year or so I've started using iphoto so all my newest ones are stored on there, and most of them then make their way to Photobucket. Anything older than that will be on Photobucket as well and probably also in some random folder somewhere on my computer.

Barbara!

I have an external hard drive and it is soooooo convenient. I have like, everything on it.

Years, then by day. Edited photos get labled as XX_edit.jpg or something like that.

I use picasa as a photo viewer, but sort by date works too. Hard drives are cheap. I run dual 1TB internals with one acting as a backup drive (automatically, daily). By the time this is full, 5TBs will be cheap ;)

GipsyQueen

I keep all my photos as well. ALL of them. However after loosing 10,000 pictures to a virus (I cried. alot.) I know keep multiples. I have on external drive with ALL my pictures, and another with those that are really dear to me, so that if anything happens to the external (I had one with all my music go belly up not too long ago, thank god my dad could fix it) I have the special ones. I do have recent ones on my laptop though.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
External harddrive.

Omg they've changed the keyboard on my phone, can't work it....! #unrelated

Taqroy

We have an external hard drive connected to our home network. I think it's 500 GB and its in a hard drive array so it backs up as you write to it. Matt set it up after our external hard drive started making random noises and I got really paranoid about the safety of my pictures.

I organize by Title (something like DogParkTipper01.14.2013) and put all the originals I want to keep under that folder. Then within that folder I have another folder called Edits. Everything in the Edits folder gets uploaded to Flickr. I keep pretty much all the originals that aren't blurry. I figure that I'm always relearning how to edit so some of the really crappy ones I might be able to make not so crappy some day. :p

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Just remember for everybody who stores on a HD - it's not "if" your HD fails, it's "when." Use a back up. Always.

Members online

No members online now.