CM gets bitten... again (vid included)

Doberluv

I really don't know what else to say guys. Don't welcome the newbie because her views are oppositional... I feel like I've been fairly respectful (albiet a little straightforward) and I have just expressed my feelings/thoughts on the subject.
I WILL NOT tolerate a dog attacking for ANY reason. I would put that particular dog down or send it somewhere (like Cesar's rehabilitation centre) where it is always supervised and kept away from the general public.
Yes some may have the abilities to cope with such a dog but I have 2 small children to think about. Heck, even if that dog bit me or my husband I would kill it (my husband would just break its neck without another thought).
Maybe that's ego or anger but I don't really give a d@mn.
You guys have flamed me and I've tolerated it but now I'm just getting fed up. I appreciate your opinions although mine differs MAJORLY. I stand by how I feel.
I will now leave this thread be, only BECAUSE I don't want to get angry...

That's not it. There seems to be a lack of logic and any kind of backing up for your statements, which in many cases appear to not be in line with the way dogs are. Your unrealistic expectations are not in line with how dogs ARE. You appear very uninformed about canine behavior. If you wouldn't have a dog that would bite for ANY reason, including being threatened and hurt by a human, then you shouldn't have a dog at all, except for maybe one of these....because dogs WILL bite for some reasons.

No, your views you have every right to. But you could be a little more open minded and learn something about........(what this forum is for) dogs!;)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Check out a pit bull forum, if they disagree they'll threaten your kids after googling your home address. lol Chaz is tame, you may want to reevaluate "sensitive".

rubygirl

Hopeful for her sake she's not too stubborn, word on the street is its of to the shoot range if you cross the handler.

In all seriousness where do you draw the line? What causes you to break your dogs necks?
I'LL TYPE THIS IN BOLD SO THAT YOU CAN U N D E R S T A N D.... I WOULD PUT MY DOG DOWN IF SHE AGGRESSIVELY ATTACKED ANY MEMBER OF OUR FAMILY. IF SHE BIT HARD ENOUGH TO DRAW BLOOD. SHE WOULD BE TAKEN TO THE VET, AND BE INJECTED WITH SODIUM PENTATHOL AND SHE WOULD PEACEFULLY PASS AWAY.
The neck breaking thing was more tongue in cheek then anything. Although I'm sure he would shoot her if he had a gun available to him.

I really don't know what else to say guys. Don't welcome the newbie because her views are oppositional... I feel like I've been fairly respectful (albiet a little straightforward) and I have just expressed my feelings/thoughts on the subject.
Everyone is just expressing their feelings/thoughts on the subject. Other people have as much of a right to disagree with you as you do to disagree with them.

And honestly, the "if you don't have kids you don't understand" thing gets old and it's a deflection. First of all, because several people here DO have kids. Second of all, not being a mother doesn't mean you never take care of children.

And honestly, the "what if that were a child" argument? If you let an 18-month-old child get into the situation Cesar got himself into, then I don't have many things to say about your parenting skills.

rubygirl

If you feel you are getting flamed and that everyone here is picking on you, don't you think that maybe, just maybe there's a reason for it? I know that if I received this kind of reaction to an opinion I would probably re-examine exactly why I felt that way and see if the people "attacking" me had a point. You said you want to learn - this is a prime opportunity.
I think it's possible that others of a like mind might be too intimidated to post so that they don't get roasted....? Or so that they will not be shunned from the group? I don't know...?
I'm not going to find attacking animals any more acceptable...

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I'm trying to understand but we're getting lost in translation.
There's definitely some kind of failure to communicate here, and I think it's made more complicated by the random comments. A long comparison that is just random and worth absolutely nothing, a claim of breaking a neck that is an exaggeration - I think it's simply that there's a lot of nonsense statements being made that have nothing to do with the conversation at hand, therefore we can't understand. I could suddenly tell you a really long story about the day our production computers crashed (we call it Spotmaggedon) and act as though it's relevant somehow, and you would be straining to understand what that has to do with resource guarding, and then I would be like "Surprise!! It doesn't have anything to do with anything! Computers and computers and dogs are dogs!" and you would be left feeling totally confused.

I think that's what is happening here. There may be some relevant comments but there's so many that aren't that it's hard to figure out what is relevant and not.

If you feel you are getting flamed and that everyone here is picking on you, don't you think that maybe, just maybe there's a reason for it? I know that if I received this kind of reaction to an opinion I would probably re-examine exactly why I felt that way and see if the people "attacking" me had a point. You said you want to learn - this is a prime opportunity.
Yes, it's a good time to reflect on why a whole bunch of people seem to all disagree with me, and for the same reasons. Self-reflection ftw.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I just finally was able to get caught up on this thread, and wow.

Wow.

WOW.

Okay, now that I've gotten THAT out of my system... :yikes:

I've watched the video and my husband has watched the video- we are both in agreement that the dog was pushed to her breaking point. I know that Tucker, Rory, and Rylie probably would've bit Cesar in that situation, and I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Other forums are quick to pull the "shoot the dog" card, I choose this one because it is not. There is a grey area between squishy fur babies and livestock, I enjoy the fact this forum is almost always a quaint shade of grey.
Agreed. I feel like 99% of the members on this forum at least respect dogs for what they are. I love dogs because they're NOT humans- their quirks and weird personalities are what make them so much fun to be around.

Heck, even if that dog bit me or my husband I would kill it (my husband would just break its neck without another thought).
Maybe that's ego or anger but I don't really give a d@mn.
I've read this thread while wondering why you even have dogs? If their lives are meaningless to you, why don't you start a stuffed animal collection instead?

NO dog is going to fit into your perfect little definition of what a "dog" should be.

rubygirl

Ahhh so you never have been in a situation of having to choose life or death and by what terms.

Now I get it.
I don't understand..? I have had to put down a couple of kittens that were deathly ill. As well as a wild bird that was injured- that was pretty awful as i DID have to break its neck. Never a dog no.

rubygirl

I'LL TYPE THIS IN BOLD SO THAT YOU CAN U N D E R S T A N D.... I WOULD PUT MY DOG DOWN IF SHE AGGRESSIVELY ATTACKED ANY MEMBER OF OUR FAMILY. IF SHE BIT HARD ENOUGH TO DRAW BLOOD. SHE WOULD BE TAKEN TO THE VET, AND BE INJECTED WITH SODIUM PENTATHOL AND SHE WOULD PEACEFULLY PASS AWAY.
I'm sorry you all are so confused. The above ^^ is what I have truly been attempting to convey... I hope it clears things up.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
It's really the very classic, and very old, "blame the victim" argument at play here.

"She should have been dressed like that if she didn't want it"

"The dog shouldn't have growled if she didn't want to be pushed into a fight" ect ect et all

Also, I'm in love with Beanie for using the word non sequitur and Adrienne for her post on page ten.

I don't understand..? I have had to put down a couple of kittens that were deathly ill. As well as a wild bird that was injured- that was pretty awful as i DID have to break its neck. Never a dog no.
The point is when its a dog you have a relationship with a dog and its a situation that IS fixable, your mind my change. Even when you feel the dog is no longer safe, you will question your decision, wonder if you could do more. That is part of owning a dog. Choosing to PTS for behavior issues is SO complicated and not easy at all....especially in a case like this where, YES, the dog was pushed and tormented into a theoretical corner

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I would really question my husband if he didn't defend his family. The neck breaking was a bit exaggerated...
Your husband is a human, and "defending" his family against a dog protecting his food is just... unnecessary.

Dogs are impulsive. Humans (are supposed to) have the ability and logic to think things through. It sounds like you and your husband are more impulsive than any dog I've ever met.

rubygirl

The point is when its a dog you have a relationship with a dog and its a situation that IS fixable, your mind my change. Even when you feel the dog is no longer safe, you will question your decision, wonder if you could do more. That is part of owning a dog. Choosing to PTS for behavior issues is SO complicated and not easy at all....especially in a case like this where, YES, the dog was pushed and tormented into a theoretical corner
No my mind would not change. Hopefully I'm never in the position to make that choice, but if she bit my family members she would be planted.

rubygirl

Your husband is a human, and "defending" his family against a dog protecting his food is just... unnecessary.

Dogs are impulsive. Humans (are supposed to) have the ability to think things through. It sounds like you and your husband are more impulsive than any dog I've ever met.
There are a lot of Dr. Phil's on here Ive noticed! My husband and I have made the choice long ago that we mutually agree- a biting dog isn't worth having.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
And, to turn your logic on you, because you've never been there you can't possibly seem to grasp it.

A dogs life, no matter how emotional you are, is still that-a life.

You raise it, you make mistakes, sometimes the mistakes bite you in the ass (literally) and you are now faced with the question: what did I do wrong (see: if you don't train me, don't blame me) and what do I do now OR should we throw in the towel and kill the dog?

You look at the dog, look at your photos, look at your videos, review the trips you've taken, the milestones you've passed, the mistakes you've made that they've forgiven you for and you weigh your options. Do we go forward and change our lives for the better or do you give in to the easy route and ask someone to kill your dog for you knowing that you've likely caused this and you're likely teaching the next generation how invaluable a life is in comparison to the work it will take admitting you messed up and are now responsible for cleaning up the mess.

This dog in question was likely not born aggressive. It may have offered a guarding behavior as a puppy (most every pup will try unless mom and siblings have beaten it out of them) and someone fought them on it. They teased the dog thinking it was the right choice and they then turned it over to a trainer with a mentality much like yours who tried to beat the fight out of the dog, just like in humans you cannot beat the fight out of every dog, instead of fixing the problem they made it worse, and worse, and worse.

Had anyone had the sense of mind to make humans near the bowl a positive thing at the beginning (or middle or end) we wouldn't be seeing this video.

There are so many easier and more humane ways to handle dogs and humans that it break my heart and hurts my head when people jump to the abuse for foundations or to clean up a mess they created.

Members online

No members online now.