Feeding Pregnant or Nursing females [for Mordy]

Y

yuckaduck

I seem to be getting alot of pregnant or already nursing dogs with puppies, so I would like to ask what is a good food to feed mommy in this phase.

My gsd's I was thinking of feeding a good quality puppy kibble and their raw food. Maybe even uping the raw food.

Right now I feed kirkland signatures chicken and rice for kibble

Everybody gets 1/2 kibble + 1/2 raw in the morning
at night they get kibble

Pups get kibble at noon too.

I have a lab that just popped out babies, they do not even have their eyes open yet and they were dumped here. What is the best food to feed her, she looks liek she is in good shape.

Thanks Mordy!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
generally any good quality "all lifestages" food will do. pregnant and lactating females may need twice their usual ration or even more.

since both labs and GSD's are large breeds (50+ lbs full grown), i would forego regular puppy food and wean directly onto an all lifestages food. if you think you absolutely must feed a puppy food, choose one that's formulated for large breeds, like for example eagle pack.

Y

yuckaduck

Mordy said:
generally any good quality "all lifestages" food will do. pregnant and lactating females may need twice their usual ration or even more.

since both labs and GSD's are large breeds (50+ lbs full grown), i would forego regular puppy food and wean directly onto an all lifestages food. if you think you absolutely must feed a puppy food, choose one that's formulated for large breeds, like for example eagle pack.

Thank you all lifestages sounds very good to me. I feed that anyway so the only change will be to up the protions. Should I free fed during those times or just up the amount?

yuckaduck said:
Thank you all lifestages sounds very good to me. I feed that anyway so the only change will be to up the protions. Should I free fed during those times or just up the amount?
I know this was for Mordy but I hope you dont mind me replying? I freed fed Jessika when she was in pup, but she has always been free fed so she was used to it, if this dog isnt then I would just up the amount because you dont want to over feed

Y

yuckaduck

Gallien Jacks said:
I know this was for Mordy but I hope you dont mind me replying? I freed fed Jessika when she was in pup, but she has always been free fed so she was used to it, if this dog isnt then I would just up the amount because you dont want to over feed
Do not mind one bit, all opinions welcome. I love learning new things.

My dogs are fed twice a day, but the rescues who knows. In the kennel I feed twice a day though.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i would say free feed a nursing mother, producing milk takes a lot out of them. you'll be able to judge if she is overeating and can take precautions if needed.

Y

yuckaduck

Mordy said:
i would say free feed a nursing mother, producing milk takes a lot out of them. you'll be able to judge if she is overeating and can take precautions if needed.
Thanks Mordy I will start doing that right away.

I used to free feed all my dogs but it gets hard when you have them on different foods, hope she does well and good luck with the pups, if she has had a bad time she may over eat so like Mordy said keep and eye on her

Y

yuckaduck

She is in real good shape right now, the pups are less then 10 days old and mommy does not even look like she had pups. SHe is a lab and I have heard that labs are.......well excuse the word but pigs. I had a lab once and he was not a pig. I will watch her closely to see how it is going and if she is being abit to piggish then I will just cut her back but leave the dish down for her. I know my shepherd hardly eats anything so when her time comes I do not think there will be any problems at all. But that will not be until Apr/May. I do not wish to breed before spring because I want to learn more before I jump in.

Members online

No members online now.