HELP! need chihuahua advice

ks02

Today I was walking my black lab when I found a bunch of people trying to catch a little chihuahua. None of them really wanted to get ahold of him but were concerned about him being hit by a car, so I ran across the road and got him. Nobody claimed him or had seen him before so I walked him home with us and called the humane society to let them know I found him. Now I have him here with me waiting for a call from whoever lost him and really am not sure how to care for him. Could anyone with chihuahua experience let me know if there's anything special I need to know about how to care for chihuahuas? He looks like he's in perfect condition, so I'm not really worried about his shots, although we are being careful. How much do I feed him? I'm not sure what he weighs, but I would guess between 3-6 pounds. Any advice would be appreciated.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Awww, poor pup :(

For feeding, I would feed the recommended amount on the back of the bag of kibble. I feed my chis 1/4 cup of food a day, to give you an idea. I break this up into 2 feedings.

Some chis can go hypoglycemic really quickly (especially the smaller ones). I like to keep a tube of Nutrical just incase. I also give snacks in between feeding (biscuits, fruit, veggies, etc).

There is nothing else that is specific to chis that you need to worry about... they are just like any other dog :)

otch1

This Chi is so lucky that you caught him!!! You were correct in contacting the animal shelter and listing him on their hotline as "found". That should be the first place an owner goes to look for their dog. On Monday, if you haven't been contacted by anyone, I'd take him to your vet and have him checked for a micro-chip. They will scan him and get the owners info that way, if he's chipped. Next, if not chipped, call your local paper and list him in the "lost and found" section. No description of the dog, just a "Found, toy breed. Please identify." With most newspapers, at least in my area, the ad is always free to the person that's found the dog. In the meantime, since he looks to be in "perfect condition", he is probably someones cherished pet, on a good diet. Reccommend that he's given a small amount of cooked chicken am and pm. You probably don't want to feed him the food your lab is on and I have a feeling you won't have him long, so there's no point in running out and trying to find an appropriate food for a Chi, by buying a bag of dry and/or canned. If he's not used to canned, this can give him loose stools. Chicken should be a little easier on him. And if he's claimed tommorrow, you haven't wasted money on another dog food, but have your own dinner ready. If he's 3 to 6 lbs., no more than 1/4 c per meal. Most importantly, keep him confined! Good luck!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I think the only thing you really need to watch for is that it does eat on a regular basis. Small dogs can get hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

I would also put a call into a bunch of your local vets in the hopes they know which client lost a Chi.

ks02

I feed my lab Timberwolf Organics Wild and Natural formula. I'm not sure if we have any chicken in the freezer or not? Would a little of the TWO be ok? Or should I just get a little chicken? He seems to be doing well now...we just got back from driving through the neighborhood we found him in. So far, no calls and nobody out looking. Poor little guy. Thanks for all the advice, and I will make sure we get him something to eat every few hours. I will keep you posted!

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
KS02... hey where in Iowa are you from? you can PM me if you want. but I am in north central iowa :)

This makes three iowans on the boards... :) cool!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I have one of my chis on Timberwolf Organics, and the other two on Orijen. Mine do just fine with these foods... I would try the Timberwolf with the chi... I would feed 1/8 cup twice a day (which is what I do).

ks02

not much of an update

So far no one has contacted the humane society about the dog. After having him here for a while, we have decided he may be a mix...we actually weighed him, and he weighs close to 9 pounds. I'm wondering if maybe he's part min-pin. Anyway, I will post pictures as soon as I get some, and I plan to take him to the vet today after class to see if he's microchipped. I am kind of doubting it, but it can't hurt to try.

Doberluv

It depends on how big he is. I feed my 6 Lb Chi a tad less than 1/4 cup twice a day and a tiny treat or two mid day. If your kibble that you feed you Lab is small enough, the Chi should be able to eat it just fine or you can add water to soften it first. Or, chicken if you have some, although long term, just chicken wouldn't be balanced. But for a while.....I agree with taking him to a vet to be scanned for micro chip and just generally, checked out. (I secretly hope whoever allowed him to escape doesn't claim him and you get to keep him. LOL) Be really careful he doesn't scoot out the door. That is so scary for a tiny dog to get loose...they're hard to see and another animal could kill him. Keep us posted. And kudos to you for saving him.

ks02

not chipped

:( Well I just got back from the vet and had him scanned. He is not chipped. I wish I could have him checked out, but unfortunately I just can't afford the $35 bill to have the exam done without knowing for sure I was going to keep him. If I could afford it I would do it in a second, and if I knew I were going to keep him I would, but with heartworm prevention season coming, the two surgeries for Riley's eyes, and having him on high quality food, my "animal fund" is about maxed out. However, if no one claims him by Wednesday or Thursday, I am going to contact the Humane Society again, PROBABLY assume I will keep him, and get him into the vet and neutered ASAP. The vet also thinks he is probably a mix but could possibly be a poorly bred purebred chihuahua.
My sister and her boyfriend stopped over last night, and it appears this little guy's been abused by a man at some point. He cowered and growled when he tried to pet him and buried his head in my roomate's arm. How sad that someone could do something like that to something so tiny and vulnerable. He also has some food issues (slight agression toward the cat that happened to walk by) that I know we could deal with and some others might not want to. He really seems to trust me, and it makes me so mad that a) he was let out or allowed to get loose in the first place and b) that no one seems to be attempting to find him.
My lab is a great dog, very passive and has the attitude of "hey, whatever goes as long as I get my walk and food." There has only been minimal jealousy from my dog, and I'm starting to really think we could make this work if no one tries to claim the dog. Anyway, thanks so much for the support, and I wil keep you all posted with anything new. Thanks again!

ks02

Just wanted to let everyone know the chihuahua's owner contacted me and came to get him. Thanks so much to everyone who gave such good advice on how to care for him and what to do. It's nice to know I have a place to turn when things like this happen!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I am sure you thought you did the right thing.....but you said he may have been abused....I just hope they were his real owners.....:(

ks02

Even if they weren't, there wasn't a whole lot I could do. They had contacted the humane society so it was through them. They called the humane society as well as the number I had put up on flyers and described the dog. Unfortunately, I do think the dog probably was abused, but as far as I could tell, there wasn't really anything I could have done. I let the humane society know that I thought he had been abused and am actually kind of upset at the way they brushed it off. All I can do is hope the poor thing was scared, and that is why he acted the way he did. Sadly, I really don't think this is the case. :(

Staff online

Members online