AC's Comment from DC's Beach Pics Thread -- Moved

Giny

That is quite a bit of weight loss, hopefully he'll be back on at a good weight soon. I know that greyhounds have a difficult time with keeping weight on due to a high metabolism, but that seem a bit more then I'd be comfortable with in weigh loss.

I had a cat with the same problem, I couldn't keep any weight on her, even worse when she became a senior. Come to find out she had chronic renal failure. I was able to put some weight back on her with a proper diet.

If his weight doesn't get up soon, I'd consider getting some blood work done.

I'm sure with everything going on in your life right now, it must be very difficult.

Oh and those beach picture are beautiful, I love the beach!

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Discussed this already but for those wondering, here's how I think Mojo keeps the weight on: My dad adds fatty foods every few days to his diet. Some days his food is soaked with bacon grease from breakfast or the fat rendered from cooked beef. And when the fridge needs cleaning, Mojo gets dibs on the non-rancid left overs. That along with the fact that he is retriever breed which is easily prone to weight gain keeps him looking healthy!

As a side note: He has ridiculously clean teeth on this crap food, it doesn't seen fair! Izzy is on totw and has some plaque on her farthest back molars. I might have to get her sticks to chew on like Mojo has!

darkchild16

We are Home.
we discussed it with the vet but he seriously doubts its something like that, he says since keeping weight on him on his normal food is EASY he hasnt changed his weight in 5 years and who knows how long before that because hes only a pound less then race weight on his normal food. The one shot that AC focused on was only one there is a better one showing him standing straight that does not look like that

The angle makes it look worse. Yes its bad again im not denying it never will, thats what happens on bad food.
He is also stressed at times here too hes in a LOT colder place, he doesnt get to go out as much he cant go places as much because of his arthritis. Hes away from the ONLY home hes known in 5 years. He never moved out of that house until now he went straight from a kennel to moms house for 5 years to here.

elegy

overdogged
Discussed this already but for those wondering, here's how I think Mojo keeps the weight on: My dad adds fatty foods every few days to his diet. Some days his food is soaked with bacon grease from breakfast or the fat rendered from cooked beef. And when the fridge needs cleaning, Mojo gets dibs on the non-rancid left overs. That along with the fact that he is retriever breed which is easily prone to weight gain keeps him looking healthy!
oy. watch out for pancreatitis with that kind of feeding.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
That would kill Mary within a day's time. Pancreatitis is incredibly painful. I would not take the risk. My mom is always trying to save us bits of this and that but I do not want them on anything but our regular diet. For treats they get freezed dried liver or a bit of cheese.

Victor eats Nutromax High protein and I add an egg if he is really active. IT has worked very well for him. He is very active with an hour or two running time each day. I couldn't be more pleased with the condition of all my dogs including Mary on this diet.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Oh believe me, I'm trying to get this dog taken care of better than he is right now. I'll probably post another thread about him later today but it's definitely something I'm trying to get my dad to work on!

What happened to AC?
ETA: Because when I see that you can't contact the person I automatically think = banned, and if that was true that would be a little rediculous.

Don't mean to threadjack, just asking.

Pops2

there are a lot of variables in what is the proper condition for a dog. besides diet there is the activity level & the EXPECTED activity level, for example a hound running coyote or bobcat or even some bears will turn in miles upon miles maybe as much as 40 in a day and over 150 a week. dogs in the "optimum" condition posted by AC wouldn't complete such running as they are obviously not in shape for it. dogs in condition for it usually look like the "emaciated" dogs but w/ ample muscle. and most people who see such dogs in running trim think they are being starved when in reality they are probably taking in 2-4X the calories their obese goldenlabradoodlepoo is.
it's one thing for ignorance to be bliss, but arguing from such a position means you're stupid as well.

darkchild16

We are Home.
What happened to AC?
ETA: Because when I see that you can't contact the person I automatically think = banned, and if that was true that would be a little rediculous.

Don't mean to threadjack, just asking.
she did something against the rules, she got banned she knew what she was doing (she took MY PICTURE without MY PERMISSION and took it from THIS board and posted it elsewhere.) I didnt ask request or anything for her to be banned but thats what happens when you go against the rules.

Exactly pops.

S

Squishy22

Wow, that attack from AC was unwarranted. In fact, I think I lost a few brain cells just from reading it. Who is she to scream neglect right from the get go? You have said that he is gaining weight and is on better food now, and that is what matters. Its unfortunate that you could only afford horrid gravy train, but it was temporarily. I can't see the pics well, because I am on a cell phone. From what it sounds like, he is being well taken care of. Hopefuly things will get better from here.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Can I ask why a dog would lose weight from poor quality food?

I thought the point was you had to feed MORE poor quality food to match the nutrients of good quality food.

I would have thought weight loss is down to:

A) not enough food - either being given or the dog refuses to eat... or

B) a medical condition.

I can't work out how changing food = weight loss unless they're either not eating it, or ill?

Bodhi was on shite food for about a year while I was broke.

She crapped mountains, but never lost weight.

Both dogs in the pics have lost considerable amounts of weight..... I don't get it?

Didn't you have enough food to feed them? And if not - is that not akin to starving them (even if intentions are good?).

I'm not trying to stir, I am just a bit confused about how the weight loss is apparently acceptable because it's just a temp situation.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Can I ask why a dog would lose weight from poor quality food?

I thought the point was you had to feed MORE poor quality food to match the nutrients of good quality food.

I would have thought weight loss is down to:

A) not enough food - either being given or the dog refuses to eat... or

B) a medical condition.

I can't work out how changing food = weight loss unless they're either not eating it, or ill?

Bodhi was on shite food for about a year while I was broke.

She crapped mountains, but never lost weight.

Both dogs in the pics have lost considerable amounts of weight..... I don't get it?

Didn't you have enough food to feed them? And if not - is that not akin to starving them (even if intentions are good?).

I'm not trying to stir, I am just a bit confused about how the weight loss is apparently acceptable because it's just a temp situation.
If the food change is accompanied by loose stools, then they aren't getting a chance to absorb anything. They are also loosing a ton of moisture, which is a big contributor to severe weight loss.

Once I lost a wonderful chinchilla to moldy hay. He was dead within two hours of eating it. He ate some, got explosive diarrhea and by the time he passed he was literally skeletal. Just earlier in that day, he was quite chunky and no bones could be felt on him. It was the dehydration caused the rapid weight loss and killed him.

darkchild16

We are Home.
He was eating 10 cups of food a day on it. He has a HUGE metabolism, others have stated why, read it over and over again. Scirocco isnt the only one this happens to. AND if you look at a normal standing picture he doesnt look horrible. A number have people have said so.

Walker hasnt lost any real weight I dont know where anyone is getting that.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
But for both dogs to lose a considerable amount of weight you'd have to see they were losing weight and still not either - add more food, or feed better food.

I don't believe a dog (2 dogs) can lose weight to an extent it is not just visible but STRIKINGLY visible within a week to ten days without you noticing after the 1st few and being like WTF my dog is becoming skeletal and change the diet??

Does that make sense?

Why would you persist on the food that is starving them? You wouldn't....

Eta - I haven't been online in a long while... I can see the difference in the pics of walker on the thread and ones from when I was last online - that is where I am getting it from.

darkchild16

We are Home.
Ummm Im looking at him right now he looks like he should, he is NEVER overweight.

why dont you just read the thread i have ALREADY SAID ALL THAT a million times. in the Beach Walk thread.

Members online