Hands Free Dog leash

mctraill

I was thinking of getting a hands free dog leash for my lab, the buddy system I think its called. I have been running of late and thought it would be a good idea to take my dog along with me when the weather is cooler.

I was wondering what your opinions are on the hands free leash and if any of you use them or can you recommend a particular brand.

Many Thanks for your advice.

lizzybeth727

I have a "hands-free leash" for my dog - I just got a regular 6-foot leash (she's short, 4-foot might work for tall dogs), and put a clasp on the end with the loop, so that I can loop it around my waist and clip it there. You can also just loop the leash around and step through it, so it's looped around your waist (hope that makes sense). It's wonderful for me, I love having my hands free. But I'd be a little nervous to put it on a big, tall dog - they're stronger and get better leverage, making it more possible to hurt your back or pull you down if they do pull. But, if your dog is good at loose leash walking and doesn't pull (or if you have him on a head halter or something), I'd definately recommend the leash.

I know that there are a few hands free leashes out there, the one I'm thinking of is on petsmart.com I think, it's just a belt you put around your waist, and then you attach a leash to the belt somehow. I didn't like it because then I have an ugly belt around my waist all the time, but maybe it would work for you if you don't mind that. A double-ended leash would be perfect, but please let me know if you find one, I've only seen a few and they're custom-made.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
I wouldn't use one. It'd be uncomfortable and I find it unessecary. I was thinking that maybe using it while walking on the beach may be an idea, but then thought it over and decided NO, because my dogs for one, are off leash at the beach, and anywhere off the beach I would just find it unessecary and it would give your dog a bigger chance of getting in front of you while running or roller blading, which would not result well. :)

If anyone is wondering what they are, this is it.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I have one, with the extension that reduces shock if the dog pulls. I think its great. I would not use one with roller blades, but running or walking, it works really well. The actual Buddy-system brand (which I have) is pretty sturdy and has attachments and extensions to add another dog.

You might also want to try a shoulder leash, like the 3-way leash they sell at PetSmart.

I use the Buddy System in the country and the shoulder leash in the city when I'm going hands-free.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I have one, I LOVE it!

I use it all the time lately, and I find Sierra walks so much better when she's around my waist, plus my hands are more free for clicker/treats ;)

I have one called a Smoochy Poochy (or something).

I use one (or two) all the time and I particularly love them for my clients who can't seem to stop giving leash corrections.

Of course there are circumstances where they would be dangerous to use but in the right setting and with the right dog/handler team, they're invaluable. They're also great for housetraining.:)

Romy

Taxiderpy
After seeing a mere 30 lb. dog pull a grown man off his feet taking off after a squirrel, I wouldn't recommend anybody attach their dogs directly to their body without a quick release. I sure wouldn't attach any dog around my waist, but mainly that's because I don't want to be drug in front of a car.

I have a friend with a TDI certified rott, Ob titles, agility titles. Trained to the hilt. One day this dog did see a squirrel, and suddenly decided to go after it. The leash was only looped around her wrist, but she couldn't get it off. It dragged her several blocks, through several piles of dog poop (face first), dislocated her wrist, broke her ankle and several ribs. She's really lucky there was no cars. This is a dog she had for many years before this incident, and never suspected anything like it would ever happen.

There' are too many "what if's" for me to ever be comfortable using one. What if a DA dog off leash runs up and starts a dog fight with your dog? And you're attached to the dog? What if you can't break up the fight because the other dog is too big/strong? How will you go get help? Are you going to practice the quick release so you will still be able to work it under stressful situations like this?

I'm sure some people are comfortable with them and like them, just wanted to put some things out there for people to think about.

lizzybeth727

it would give your dog a bigger chance of getting in front of you while running or roller blading, which would not result well. :)
What? How would it let your dog get in front of you? I attach mine at my side, where the leash is directly under my hand.... it's exactly as far back as my hand is.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Sarama, who is considerably more than 30 lbs, has yet to pull me off my feet going after a squarel. Now, admittedly, I'm a heavy woman, but you're actually better off with the dog anchored around your hips than attached to your hand . . . they can't unbalance you easily that way, because of the center of gravity. Now, I wouldn't go mountain climbing with it on . . .

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
After seeing a mere 30 lb. dog pull a grown man off his feet taking off after a squirrel, I wouldn't recommend anybody attach their dogs directly to their body without a quick release. I sure wouldn't attach any dog around my waist, but mainly that's because I don't want to be drug in front of a car.

I have a friend with a TDI certified rott, Ob titles, agility titles. Trained to the hilt. One day this dog did see a squirrel, and suddenly decided to go after it. The leash was only looped around her wrist, but she couldn't get it off. It dragged her several blocks, through several piles of dog poop (face first), dislocated her wrist, broke her ankle and several ribs. She's really lucky there was no cars. This is a dog she had for many years before this incident, and never suspected anything like it would ever happen.

There' are too many "what if's" for me to ever be comfortable using one. What if a DA dog off leash runs up and starts a dog fight with your dog? And you're attached to the dog? What if you can't break up the fight because the other dog is too big/strong? How will you go get help? Are you going to practice the quick release so you will still be able to work it under stressful situations like this?

I'm sure some people are comfortable with them and like them, just wanted to put some things out there for people to think about.
Honestly, yes Sierra HAS almost pulled me right over when I'm holding the leash or it's on my wrist (ask Dekka, she's seen it! lol) But on my waist it's a whole different game. She's attached directly to my centre of gravity and strength, and has a much lower chance of pulling me over from there.

And in the dog fight situation, I could easily unhook the clasp from my waist, though I doubt I would EVER leave my dog being attacked by another dog. EVER.

S

Squishy22

Wow, those look cool. It would be an absolute disaster for me though. Reggin would pull me to the ground as soon as he seen another dog...

mctraill

Thanks for all your comments I will take them on board. I dont usually find anyone else out at 6.00am with their dogs, but then not many people walk here in Houston its way to hot and humid.

I guess I need to train her to use this leash just like I did when I first adopted her. So I will take it easy.

Thanks again

Members online

No members online now.