Turmeric for Fatty Lipomas

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I've read that turmeric given in high enough doses will, in time, dissolve fatty lipomas. Ilsa has a couple, so I've decided to give it a try. She eats it just fine, it's too early to tell if it's working... but...

one icky side effect. Ilsa smells funny now. Almost like cat pee. It's driving me nuts.

My last dog had about 7 or 8 removed during his life, the surgety was nothing much at all for him. I don't think the Tumeric will work.

Sizzle Dog ~ have you had any luck with the Tumeric?

I can't speak for Sizzle Dog, but a friend and I were just discussing the "wonders" of Turmeric the other day. She's been giving it to a 10 year old doberman bitch..she said most of the fatty tumours have disappeared, a couple of larger ones are considerably smaller than they once were. So I definitely think it's worth a try.

I've been giving tumeric to a 6 year old doberman male for it's anti inflammatory properties, and have noticed MAJOR improvement with a chronic limp. He also has liver issues, so we've been limited in what we could give him to make him more comfortable-this has been a great alternative for him.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I had to stop giving it to her - even the smallest dosage made her smell HORRIBLE! I was giving her a bath every three or four days, she just reeked of what smelled like cat urine... possibly the worst smelling she's ever been... three hours after a thorough bath, the smell would be overpowering again. ICK.

They did change though - they got a bit smaller, and squishier it seems. I just couldn't tolerate the stench.

I may try giving her straight curcumin though - it's the base of turneric - maybe something else in the turmeric made her stink to high heaven!

Herschel

Send me a PM with your email address if you want the full article.

Maheshwari RK, Singh AK, Gaddipati J, Srimal RC.

Department of Pathology, Uniformed Services University of the Life Sciences, Center for Combat Casualty and Life Sustainment Research, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA.

Turmeric (Curcuma longa rhizomes), commonly used as a spice is well documented for its medicinal properties in Indian and Chinese systems of medicine. It has been widely used for the treatment of several diseases. Epidemiological observations, though inconclusive, are suggestive that turmeric consumption may reduce the risk of some form of cancers and render other protective biological effects in humans. These biological effects of turmeric have been attributed to its constituent curcumin that has been widely studied for its anti-inflammatory, anti-angiogenic, anti-oxidant, wound healing and anti-cancer effects. As a result of extensive epidemiological, clinical, and animal studies several molecular mechanisms are emerging that elucidate multiple biological effects of curcumin. This review summarizes the most interesting in vitro and in vivo studies on the biological effects of curcumin.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Apparently the curcumin in turmeric is a Cox-2 inhibitor - there is another Cox-2 inhibitor found in grapeskins and red wines - Reservatol. Now, I know grapes are toxic to dogs, but I'm wondering if reservatol is safe.

I had to stop giving it to her - even the smallest dosage made her smell HORRIBLE! I was giving her a bath every three or four days, she just reeked of what smelled like cat urine... possibly the worst smelling she's ever been... three hours after a thorough bath, the smell would be overpowering again. ICK.
That's weird, Rush doesn't have any kind of odor from the turmeric he's been getting. After hearing that was happening with Ilsa, I asked my friend who's been giving it to her senior bitch-she hasn't had a problem with odor from it, either.

J's crew

Does anyone know what the dosage would be? I have a friend that is having the same problem with her Rottie mix. She's about 80 pds.

TIA!

wehkah

My 3 Blessings!
Interesting topic... this may be something I'd like to try also with my 9yr old weim. So if anyone knows the dosage chart that would be very helpful. :)

Does anyone know what the dosage would be? I have a friend that is having the same problem with her Rottie mix. She's about 80 pds.

TIA!
The dosage I was given for lipomas was 500 mg. twice a day for a 60 lb. dog.

If you look on the web, there's a lot of variation about dosages. One site suggests you load the food with turmeric until the dog won't eat it, then back off.

This was posted on a site for canine cancer. curcurmin is a component of turmeric:

"Recommended dosage of curcumin for treatment of cancer is 80
mg/kg/day (36 mg/lb/day), or 400 mg twice a day for a 25 lb dog.,
administered orally (the highest recommended dosage is 120 mg/kg/day,
or 55 mg/lb/day, to avoid toxicity)."

Last edited:

Herschel

Apparently the curcumin in turmeric is a Cox-2 inhibitor - there is another Cox-2 inhibitor found in grapeskins and red wines - Reservatol. Now, I know grapes are toxic to dogs, but I'm wondering if reservatol is safe.
There is no evidence that all Cox-2 inhibitors are unsafe. In fact, it's kind of a silver bullet and that is where pharmaceutical companies are spending huge money trying to find the next Cox-2 inhibiting anti-inflammatory (remember Vioxx, etc.). If Curcumin is a Cox-2 inhibitor, it might be a great natural way to treat joint pain, arthritis, etc.

Further, the mechanism behind grape/raisin toxicity is still unknown. In fact, a lot of people still feed grapes/raisins to their dogs without any ill effects. Just because grape skins contain some level of Cox-2 inhibiting compounds doesn't make them toxic to dogs or related to turmeric.

Members online

No members online now.