Odd Housebreaking issue not explained in a sticky

We have a 15 week old pembroke welsh corgi. Up to this point he has spent the majority of life in a crate. Due to this he has no issues going to the bathroom in his crate at night. We are using the normal house breaking methods as listed in the sticky and he is getting better, but it seems the crate triggers him to eliminate. Sometimes he will go to the crate for that sole purpose. We can not figure how to make it though a night. Last night I sleep the couch and he slept with me there and slept pretty much through the night without issue. On the prior night in the crate i had to get up 5 times in the same pieriod. Please help and thank you all in advance

Brattina88

I've had similar issues with foster dogs - mostly the little ones from BYBs or the pound where they were kept in chages their whole lives. When they're adults, its often refered to 'dirty dog syndrome' if you want to do a search on that ;) Its basically when the dogs no longer feel the natural need to keep their den clean... It's often hard to house train them if they are, but it is possible !

You mentioned that the crate seems to be the issue... he slept on the couch with you without an issue... So why the need for a crate? Can your puppy sleep with you in your bed? :D That way you can be awoke at night to let him out. Also, a nice long puppy walk a half an hour or so before bed time may help him sleep through the night... HTH... more will chime in later, I'm sure ;)

Members online

No members online now.