Pickles Needs Vibes and Prayers

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
This morning DH went to feed the birds and one of our white wings, Kiwi, was dead on the bottom of the cage. Her sister Pickles was obviously quite ill. I rushed her to the vet and they put her in a heated cage, gave her fluids and a feeding directly into her croup and they are going to do blood work as soon as they think she can handle the blood draw. Pickles is underweight and the vet said that the inside of her mouth is moist, which is unusual for a bird so they are thinking maybe an upper respiratory infection. The other two birds, who are in seperately cages, seem fine but it's hard to tell with birds so we may have to bring them in to be checks out as well.

I'm so upset and worried sick. I was in tears when I called my boss this morning to call off. Pickles could really use all the prayers and good vibes you guys could possibly spare....:(

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
They did bloodwork. Pickles is anemic, her uric acid levels are off the chart and some of the other levels I'm less familiar with are not good. I'm off to take Kiwi's body in to be examined and they want me to bring Yoda in later this afternoon. Solo freaks out being out of his cage so they are going to wait on us brining him in.

They basically don't know what's going on. It could be something toxic in their environment, even a toy. The vet really doesn't know if Pickles will make it.

Xandra

Very sorry about Kiwi and many vibes for Pickles!! how sad and scary :(

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
*****vibes!!!!******

Hope hope the vet can help you get to the bottom of this quickly. It's always so scary with exotics. :(

I'm so sorry to hear about Kiwi.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I went and saw Pickles. She still seems very sick and the vet said that she may die. She does have the strength to perch which is a good thing. She will have to stay a few days at least. The bill will be between $600-800, not counting what it will cost to bring Yoda in to be checked. Thank God we have money in savings, but it's just an added stress.

My poor Pickles. I know as pet owners we are not suppose to have favorites but she is just very special to me.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Oh no! I was going to ask about taking Kiwi in to see if there might be any clues. =< How sad. I hope Pickles pulls through and the other two are okay!

joce

I'm so sorry :( some of these critters are just so fragile :(

No gas running in your home, something leaking? My boss found out about a leak when her dog started having seizures and she took him to the vet and her clear up somewhat fast. Don't know if that would give time for anything else in the body to be affected with birds though.

Sending all kinds of good thoughts for your birds!!

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Pickles is still very ill but still alive. Yoda got a clean bill of health, and they don't think it's worth the stress it will cause Solo to bring him in at this point since Yoda is fine. The vet thinks it may be some sort of toxin exposure but they really don't know what's wrong. At this point I'm going to be tossing every item that was in that cage and I'm pretty positive I'm taking the cage to the scrap yard in case there was some item with heavy metal in there they were exposed to.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I'm sorry. I REALLY REALLY hope she pulls through for you!!!!! I haven't posted anything but I've been reading your thread. I just didn't know what to say, but I really hope they find out what is wrong with her and she's on the mend quickly.

crazedACD

Oh I'm so sorry :(. You know I have one too, they are the best little birds. Vibes and well wishes for Pickles!

Are they eating different food than Yoda and Solo? Any chance of mold or anything like that in the food or cage? Their bedding? It must be a toxin if it affected both of them at the same time like that :(.

SoCrafty

I'm so sorry for your loss.

If you think it might be heavy metal poisoning, switch the bottom of the cage liner with white paper or paper towels and watch their droppings. Heavy metal poisoning alters the color of their droppings. I think it turns it reddish or orange.

I hope that Pickles pulls through for you!!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Sending lots of healing vibes. I'm so sorry to hear what happened. Hugs

Members online

No members online now.