AKC and Petland

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It's sad and I doubt anyone will deny that the AKC registers puppy mill dogs, which is wrong BUT why do we always focus on only the AKC? Other registries (heck even the ABCA: The Hunte Corporation - Pet Registries) registers dogs from the Hunte corp. Then there are registries made simply to register mill dogs. Not that the regulations on the AKC mills are great but at least they're more regulated than the non akc mills. These mills are going to exist no matter where they're registering dogs. It IS sad the AKC who is supposedly all about quality dogs is so greedy about things that all they see is $$$ BUT... I just see a lot of pot meet kettle here.

I also think the list of people 'condoning abuse' or whatever is absurd.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
* If you watch Westminster, you sanction the cruelty.
* If you register a puppy with the AKC, you sanction the cruelty.
* If you go to AKC dogs shows or trials as a participant, vendor, or viewer, you sanction the cruelty.
Welp. Guess I sanction cruelty then. On all three accounts.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I definitely think the blog posting is very, very biased.

My chihuahuas are AKC registered. I just wish the AKC wouldn't register puppymill dogs... there should be more regulations.

bubbatd

Horrible video !!!! There HAS to be a ruling against mills !!! AKC was supposed to check on the number of litters etc !!

Dekka

Just try me..
The thing is he has a point. If you just 'say' they shouldn't but still support the AKC then in a way you ARE condoning it. ITs what you do..

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
The AKC is a kennel registry. They aren't there to legislate, say "this is a good breeder" or "this is a bad one." I don't expect them to nor do I have any delusions that they do. In fact, I would prefer it if they did NOT stick their noses in and start trying to dictate what is or is not a puppy mill... IMHO that is not their "job" or their purpose.

Lolas Dad

It's sad and I doubt anyone will deny that the AKC registers puppy mill dogs, which is wrong BUT why do we always focus on only the AKC? Other registries (heck even the ABCA: The Hunte Corporation - Pet Registries) registers dogs from the Hunte corp. Then there are registries made simply to register mill dogs. Not that the regulations on the AKC mills are great but at least they're more regulated than the non akc mills. These mills are going to exist no matter where they're registering dogs. It IS sad the AKC who is supposedly all about quality dogs is so greedy about things that all they see is $$$ BUT... I just see a lot of pot meet kettle here.

I also think the list of people 'condoning abuse' or whatever is absurd.
The Hunte Corporation is a middleman for the puppy mills and probably the largest distributor of puppy mill dogs. I'm not saying that it's right and I am not defending them in any way shape or form but they are not the ones that bred the puppies.

The Hunte Corporation - See For Yourself.

Lolas Dad

I definitely think the blog posting is very, very biased.

My chihuahuas are AKC registered. I just wish the AKC wouldn't register puppymill dogs... there should be more regulations.
All the AKC would have to require for a litter to be registered is the genetic tests done on the parent's before the breeding takes place. If that were to happen then puppy mill dogs would not be able to be registered because no puppy mill will spend the money to do so.

It will also stop back yard breeders from being registered as well.

Dekka

Just try me..
The AKC is a kennel registry. They aren't there to legislate, say "this is a good breeder" or "this is a bad one." I don't expect them to nor do I have any delusions that they do. In fact, I would prefer it if they did NOT stick their noses in and start trying to dictate what is or is not a puppy mill... IMHO that is not their "job" or their purpose.
Yes they should, and yes they claim to investigate breeders producing large numbers.. so they think its their job too.'

This is their mission statement...
The American Kennel Club is dedicated to upholding the integrity of its Registry, promoting the sport of purebred dogs and breeding for type and function. Founded in 1884, the AKC® and its affiliated organizations advocate for the purebred dog as a family companion, advance canine health and well-being, work to protect the rights of all dog owners and promote responsible dog ownership.

AKC’s Objective:

* Advance the study, breeding, exhibiting, running and maintenance of purebred dogs.

AKC's Core Values:

* We love purebred dogs
* We are committed to advancing the sport of the purebred dog
* We are dedicated to maintaining the integrity of our Registry
* We protect the health and well-being of all dogs
* We cherish dogs as companions
* We are committed to the interests of dog owners
* We uphold high standards for the administration and operation of the AKC
* We recognize the critical importance of our clubs and volunteers
So umm ya its more than 'just a registry'.

bubbatd

^^^ I agree !!! I registered all my litters and when my dogs got their OFAs , Cerfs and TDIs. AKC must screen more !!

Dekka

Just try me..
What do they do that makes them more than just a registry?
They run dog shows, license judges, make rules for dog sports like obedience agility, rally, earth dog etc.

They promote the purebred dog.

They fight legislation.

etc etc etc.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
But then most registries are more than just registries, right?

And if they're also registering dogs from these sources too then what?

sisco16

koda bear
the video is really sad i do not agree that they dont even have anything in there for the puppies to be on like a towel or a dog bed something, some get a wood box i mean come on. What really makes me sick is all the people in that video walking around what looks like shopping for there puppy, and ignoring the hellhole they live in. I would much rather want to give some of the adult dogs a chance at life. But then you would be supporting them and the visious cycle continues so i dont know.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I have already washed my hands of AKC years ago. When I got into dog shows, and worked for a show kennel and did some handling, met some people....
I seen things I wish I had never seen :( and I feel like AKC doesnt care. they are all about money money money

Dekka

Just try me..
But then most registries are more than just registries, right?

And if they're also registering dogs from these sources too then what?
Yes, very few registries are just registries.

Just cause others do it, doesn't make it ok? Just cause some people think dog fighting is ok doesn't make it right for others...

The AKC is a whole lot more than a registry.. they try to promote that they are the ADVOCATE for the pure bred dog. In this case they are failing big time. I have seen estimates of 1/3 to 1/2 of all their registration funds comes from puppy mills.

And they are in a unique place to be able to fight puppy mills and pet store dogs. The cop out its just a registry doesn't wash for me. Even if thats all they were, a clerical office, the fact that they CAN do something about it means they should.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yes, very few registries are just registries.

Just cause others do it, doesn't make it ok? Just cause some people think dog fighting is ok doesn't make it right for others...

The AKC is a whole lot more than a registry.. they try to promote that they are the ADVOCATE for the pure bred dog. In this case they are failing big time. I have seen estimates of 1/3 to 1/2 of all their registration funds comes from puppy mills.

And they are in a unique place to be able to fight puppy mills and pet store dogs. The cop out its just a registry doesn't wash for me. Even if thats all they were, a clerical office, the fact that they CAN do something about it means they should.
No it doesn't make it 'okay' that other registries do it too. It simply frustrates me when the same people (not here) that repeatedly bring up the puppy mills and the akc but yet their registry also has no problem registering milled dogs. I dunno, just rubs me wrong.

I don't believe the AKC is wonderful however it would be a lot easier to be vehemently anti-akc if there were another viable option within my breed. As of now there's not so I will continue to register my paps with the akc.

Dekka

Just try me..
It would be almost impossible for puppy mills to register their dogs with the JRTCA or JRTCC. Esp as you can't register dogs until they are a year old.

But yes I get what you are saying Laur, its just that I hear so many people use the cop out "just a registry" when defending the unethical things the AKC (and CKC) do.

Members online

No members online now.