Brittanys

casey82

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Brittanys. What are they like to live with day to day? I hear they are super high energy, but if they get enough exercise can they chill in the house? Are they pretty people friendly? Dog friendly?

Thanks

Aleron

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Brittanys. What are they like to live with day to day? I hear they are super high energy, but if they get enough exercise can they chill in the house? Are they pretty people friendly? Dog friendly?

Thanks
I don't have one but I know one really well. He's pretty high maintence in terms of exercise needs. He's not bad in the house but if he doesn't get enough entertainment, he can be destructive. He's good with other dogs and with people, which is typical of the breed. He's pretty driven and trainable but also can have a mind of his own. He does well in agility but sometimes gets a bit crazy LOL He's a really fun loving, silly dog all in all.

They tend to be a bit tricky off leash because they are bred to work very far away and most still have very strong hunting instinct (there's more AKC Dual Champions in Brittanys than in any other breed). They aren't really "running away" but they tend to be obsessed with hunting and can very quickly be "working" out of sight. Because of the traits selected for in field trials and the methods used to train for field trials, they can be a bit "hard" when in drive or focused on something. The one I know is trained to an e-collar for off leash walks because it was the most practical solution for exercising him. He often won't even take food when he's in a setting that he associates with hunting, which is pretty much any place you could take a dog for off leash walks. Even at that he's gotten lost in the woods a few times (he always wears a GPS collar and I think they generally wear those at field trials too). I think the ones bred for "foot hunting" and the French Brittanys may be a bit more toned down in that respect and probably strictly show bred ones but I'm not sure to what degree they are toned down.

Another breed you may want to consider is a field bred English Cocker. They share a lot of good traits with Brittanys (people and dog friendly, trainable, fun loving and driven) but are less extreme in their exercise and off leash needs. Emily's mother has one, so maybe send her a PM :)

I think that Brit puppies are the CUTEST puppies (hope Lil' Sis doesn't read this) and all of them that I've ever met have been high energy love bugs.

The people I know who have them really really love them and swear they'll never own anything else.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I love Britts! (I'm the Emily who's parents own the field line English Cocker, btw.) I considered one for myself before buying my corgi, and also did some research for my parents when they were looking for a gun dog.

One thing that is really neat about the breed is that they are truly dual purpose, with very, very little spit between working and show. They have more dual champions than any other breed, I believe. You may find individual kennels who only do show or only do field work, but in general the breed can do both. They are generally friendly, happy, wild, and sporty.

Ultimately, we opted for the field line Cocker because the size was a little better (for my family), and because of the tendency in Britts towards "big running." They're bred to work far from hunters and often on horseback, so they move fast and far - sometimes too fast and too far if you're an owner on foot. ;) The Cocker is a close-working dog, which ended up being more appropriate for our situation.

You may also want to look into the French Brittany... there is a split between the American Brittany and the French Brittany, and AFAIK the French Brittany is closer-working than the American type, and a little heavier in bone and more compact.

If you are also interested in the field line English Cockers, I am happy to share what life with ours is like. He is just my mom's house pet/boyfriend dog (LOL) but he would make a spectacular little sport dog.

(oops this post was kind of a repeat, LOL)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Quirks, speed, drive, and screams. I train a handful and that's how I would describe them in the shortest hand.

They can be odd dogs, this doesn't mean bad but confusing and challenging. A few I know "see dead people" meaning they see and chase things we don't see, it could be a bug or lights. Also two I know can be hard to tell which dog is arriving which day. Some days they're joyous and somedays they are impatient and moody.

They are quick! It's good and bad, you need to be quick yourself to time your markers correctly.

Driven. They are high drive dogs, they don't give up easily.

And noise. Whimper, shriek, bark, growl. They talk, a lot, and if you've upset them you're in for it.

They're cool dogs but ime they aren't ideal as a low demand pet (I know that's not your goal).

casey82

Thanks guys! They actually sound like they'd be a fun dog, albeit not a low key one. :rofl1:
Off leash is a bonus but not mandatory. I live in the city, so most of our exercising is done on leash, so definately not a deal breaker.

Drive=Good. I would like a dog that is capable of some degree of settling in the house.

I love a sweet lovebug of a dog.

Sounds like they can be quirky which could be interesting. I guess I'll have to go to shows and meet some. On paper they sound exactly like what I want, I've met a couple but not many. The one's I've met I've only had very brief encounters with.

Kissapittie

Dog-wrangler
Quirks, speed, drive, and screams. I train a handful and that's how I would describe them in the shortest hand.

They can be odd dogs, this doesn't mean bad but confusing and challenging. A few I know "see dead people" meaning they see and chase things we don't see, it could be a bug or lights.

And noise. Whimper, shriek, bark, growl. They talk, a lot, and if you've upset them you're in for it.
You summed up the three I have at work, haha. They are all really sweet...but odd. It's interesting to know it's a breed thing :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I know a few fairly well... they are odd dogs. I do like them a lot but they have that kind of frantic energy.

And for being such athletic, fast dogs, they seem really hit or miss as sports dogs- moreso than most breeds. But I notice that with most pointer/flushing breeds so not sure if that's a failure of training method or what... Lots of nose to the ground and telling their owner to take a hike.

Staff online

Members online