What type of poop is "good"? soft/runny or dry/solid?

Ruckus

The Shifferbranes
I think I read somewhere that minimal dry solid poop is good, is this correct?

Ive been feeding my 38 lbs. 4 1/2 month Husky puppy Canidae All Life Stages (kibble), and his poop is very very soft (like soft serve icecream) and almost runny (not watery). He poops alot, about 3-4 times a day. I did notice that his coat looked healthier. Do you think I should switch to another high quality kibble? If so, what do you guys recommend?

R

RedyreRottweilers

soft stool is not a good indication that the dog is using what he is eating to his best advantage.

I'm not familiar with dog foods, so maybe someone else can give you advice there.

T

tessa_s212

How long has he been on it?

Though Canidae is high quality, that doesn't mean it will work for every dog. ;) If the soft stools do not even tually harden, it probably would be best to try anohter high quality kibble.

Ruckus

The Shifferbranes
yea... i think Ruckus isnt doing too well on Canidae. His poops are really really soft. Can you guys recommend another high quality kibble? What about Innova EVO?

Fran27

Innova EVO is great but there is too much protein in it for large breed puppies. They would grow too fast. I use the standard innova dry adult and they're doing wonderful on it.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Despite trying several different diets, my pup had soft stool until he was about 6 months old. He just had a digestive system that matured very slowly, according to my vet.

Dakota wound up doing best on Innova puppy food mixed with the Innova adult food, supplemented with just a little bit of canned pumpkin. His stools still weren't hard and dry like they are now, but they got better. Each dog is different though, your pup might do better on something else.

Have you had him checked out by a vet and mentioned that? I'm not very familiar with parasites but I'd think something like that could cause soft stool?

oriondw

user not active
I prefer a small about 2 inches in leght round, hard round poops.

Those seem to be the best indicator that he's healthy.

When poop is running or is dry to point of being almost powdery, then something is wrong.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I do get that dry powdery stool with my dogs once in a while, usually when there has been an unusually large amount of bone consumed.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
A small case of whipworms can also cause soft stool--larger infestations lead to bloody diarrhea.

Also, maybe take a look at Eagle Pack.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Giardia will cause soft stools.
With my GSD I also found that a lower fat kibble seemed to make a difference as well as going back to 3xday feedings.

demiles

Stools

First make sure him/her is parasite free. I use Blackwood kibble and have good luck with it.

Ruckus

The Shifferbranes
yea... I guess I'll ask my vet to check if he has parasites. his shots are up to date and i give him Heartguard plus, but there still might be the possibilty. if everything checks out ok, ill probably change to Royal Canin or Eagle Pack.

a couple of people here use Kirkland Signature Lamb and Rice (Costco Brand). Since its from Costco, im thinking its pretty cheap (price wise). Since a few people here use it, maybe its not that bad? any input on it?

Fran and RD have probably given you the best advice, and Orion's description of a healthy stool is good.

Heheh, one thing about it, I guess we can say we know our sh!t here ;)

Y

yuckaduck

Canidae did the opposite to my dogs. They did not poop for three days and we had serious constipation issues. The rest of the bag went to the dump, and they went back on Kirkland Signatures. I will never trade again fropm what works great for my dogs. I can only say if you find a food that you and your dog are happy with then stick with it.

Sheba

I W A L R
Renee750il said:
Fran and RD have probably given you the best advice, and Orion's description of a healthy stool is good.

Heheh, one thing about it, I guess we can say we know our sh!t here ;)
LOL so true, Renee! I agreee with almosy everything you say, ROFLMAO!

Julie

I am back again.
I am not an expert on dogfood, but I feed kirkland signature, chicken and rice. I will not mention what I used to feed. lol. But my dogs have small dark, sort of compacted stools compared to what they used to be. Now I understand what I feed is not the best of the best, and the other mentioned brands are probably better, but for our situation I feel very good about what we are feeding now. And considering we have 3 large dogs that I cannot afford to feed the ultimate premium foods. They all love the taste and we are having no problems with that particular food, and I like that it has no corn. I think it is all a personal decision that needs to be made after much research has been done. I just feel good that I am feeding food that tops probably 98% of what my hometown feeds their dogs. And mine is probably cheaper too. The only reason, because I asked and read. Just take the information important to you, and ignore the rest.
Best of Luck,
Julie.

amymarley

I am sorry, not to make this thread a light hearted thread, but I actually get hired to "read" parrot poop. There is a HUGE difference in dogs and parrots, but I would first (always, my first option) is to have any medical issues taken care of first. Then try another brand. We (as humans) are all different, there are so many good and bad kibble out there. You just need to find the right one for your dog. Talk to your vet, get his/her recommendations, then get him/her on a kibble for a bit and if that doesn't work, move on and try another. Regardless, there are going to be times when your dog gets a "bad tummy" and there is a problem, but try to work thorugh it and see what happens. Good luck to you and your dog.

Fran27

I agree with animalbiz, just don't take nutritional advice from your vet, they don't have a clue (well most of them don't).

I would get a small bag of some good quality kibble (innova, eagle pack, solid gold, kirkland or whatever) and try that for a couple weeks. If it doesn't work, try another. All dogs don't react the same way to different foods, what matters is to find something that will work for your dog.

How long have you been feeding canidae though? I know my golden was fed complete crap when I got him, and when I switched him to something better he had diarrhea for about 2 weeks. I guess it's a bit like someone who's been eating junk food for years starts eating more vegetables etc... if you see what I mean :D

Members online

No members online now.