Obama Supports Same-Sex Marriage

Miakoda

Enlightened just in time to make it an election issue, yay.
This.

Gas prices are dropping $0.05 per day. He's sided with same-sex marriage. The presidential election is in November of this year. Coinkydink? I think not.

CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW RESPECTING AN ESTABLISHMENT OF RELIGION, OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF; OR ABRIDGING THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH, OR OF THE PRESS; OR THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE PEACEABLY TO ASSEMBLE, AND TO PETITION THE GOVERNMENT FOR A REDRESS OF GRIEVANCES.
You, or anyone can feel whatever you'd like about gay marriage. That is the second part of the amendment. Still, no one has shown me a valid reason (beyond the Bible) why gay marriage should be illegal.

Since the main thrust of people who want to deny gay people the right to marry is based on the bible, I am forced to believe that they want to establish their religion in secular law. They shouldn't be able to (that is the part in bold).

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
You, or anyone can feel whatever you'd like about gay marriage. That is the second part of the amendment. Still, no one has shown me a valid reason (beyond the Bible) why gay marriage should be illegal.

Since the main thrust of people who want to deny gay people the right to marry is based on the bible, I am forced to believe that they want to establish their religion in secular law. They shouldn't be able to (that is the part in bold).
THIS! THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!

and thanks Shay! lol

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
And every time you open your mouth you score an own goal. Every, single, time. Please keep going.

Miakoda

I wonder how many people, who are for same-sex marriage, will be willing to fight the same battle for brothers and sisters to legally marry...for first cousins to legally marry... Honestly, what right do we have to tell people, who honestly love each other and want to be with each other, that they cannot because it's "wrong"?

Just a thought.

Oh, and while this wasn't on this forum, I was told that I hold my views because of my ignorance. Why, oh why, is it that I'm prejudiced and ignorant and full of hate because I believe the opposite of someone else on the issue of same-sex marriage? It's amazing the names I get called, and the intellectual put-downs I deal with, all because of my opinion. With this issue, it's seriously a "if you don't believe like we do, you're a flaming ignorant idiot".

Just another thought.

Taqroy

I wonder how many people, who are for same-sex marriage, will be willing to fight the same battle for brothers and sisters to legally marry...for first cousins to legally marry... Honestly, what right do we have to tell people, who honestly love each other and want to be with each other, that they cannot because it's "wrong"?

Just a thought.
Are you serious? First cousin marriage IS legal in quite a few states (Colorado being one). In what way is brother to sister marriage even remotely related to this topic?

ETA: And I'm still waiting for an explanation of the "good" reasoning behind God's no gay marriage rule.

You're right, i don't know what the bible says. I used to read it, I don't anymore. I don't care to study it now considering it's been re-written, re-interpreted, has many omissions and has "man's" hands all over it for the past few thousand years I'm guessing if at one time it was the word of God, man has changed it to suit his own needs. Just as man has done for millenia.

But I do know that marriages are nothing more than legally binding contracts that have much more to do with actual laws in this country than any bible or church. Marriages have been legally binding contracts for all over the world since the days of Christ and before.

So WHY do your religious views, or anybody else's get to be used to deny a citizen of the US the protections of laws and rights granted to other consenting adults in this country?

Miakoda

Are you serious? First cousin marriage IS legal in quite a few states (Colorado being one). In what way is brother to sister marriage even remotely related to this topic?
So I guess you have a problem with a brother and a sister getting married?

How is this topic relevant? Because it's two adults making a choice, yet being denied marriage because it's morally "wrong". Sounds like you could swap "brother and sister" with "man and man" in this context.

And because it shows that even people who fight for their own "liberation" (as you will), have no problems imposing restrictions upon others.

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
OK.... I know where this is going, so I am going to make a farewell here.

Yes. I get it. It makes no "human" sense why gay people should not be able to get married. I go back to Gods commandments about marriage and family. To my flesh, its does not "make sense" why two people who love each other cannot be married. I could get into how NAMBLA gets excited when there is a federal gay marriage law and a few other "human" arguements against gay marriage. But I am not going to bother, because those human reasons do not matter. Not to me. To a lot of you that means "Puck is a mindless fool who just does what he is told." That is not a true statement, but believe what you will. No MAN rules me. But the living God does.

I walk by faith, not by sight. My life has been radically BETTER, awesome, amazing, fulfilling, loving, since I took that step and made my flesh 2nd to Gods will. Man will ALWAYS fail you, put your faith in YOUR wisdom at your own peril. When you let God take the lead, He takes you to some pretty cool places.

To the people willing to challege their own personal points of view on things.... Do a study. Look at the history of this nation. Look at our rise and now our slow but sure decline. Compare this decline to the average role of God in people's lives. If you do an honest comparison, I think you will see something quite telling. Less God = more pain.

---

Fran - All I am going to say is thank you for pretty much proving everything I thought about young women who vote for Obama. Stop looking at what he SAYS. Look at what he DOES. He SAYS all kinds of good things, good to you at least. But where I come from, results matter more and his results SUCK.

ANYbody can make a fancy sign with a witty slogan that you agree with. His utter lack of substance and the fact that SO many younger people worship him is....sad. It's not like we were warned or anything.

Thanks. :)

Just a thought.
Brother/sister marrying is illegal because of hte genetic mess it can create when having children. Seriously, comparing that? Just as bad as people who compare gay marriage to allowing people to marry animals.

Ok, so for those against gay marriage but for "traditional" marriage (regardless of whether or not govt is involved) answer the same question.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!

How is this topic relevant? Because it's two adults making a choice, yet being denied marriage because it's morally "wrong". Sounds like you could swap "brother and sister" with "man and man" in this context.

And because it shows that even people who fight for their own "liberation" (as you will), have no problems imposing restrictions upon others.
Gay marriage and incest are on a WHOLE different page. I can't even see how they're comparable :confused:

Miakoda

I'm leaving this issue as well. Like Puck, my Christian beliefs mold and shape me into the human I am. I am not a hateful, ignorant, prejudiced moron, but rather a person who does her best to live as instructed by God (who, may I remind you, has instructed us to LOVE on another). I know my stance on this issue, and it is what it is.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I, for one, have NO problem with others hating gay people or disagreeing with gay marriage. I have a problem with people trying to prevent gay people having equal rights.

The bible says that slavery is ace. Should we go back to that?

Miakoda

Brother/sister marrying is illegal because of hte genetic mess it can create when having children. Seriously, comparing that? Just as bad as people who compare gay marriage to allowing people to marry animals.

Ok, so for those against gay marriage but for "traditional" marriage (regardless of whether or not govt is involved) answer the same question.
Ummm, who says the people in question even want children?

Again, I'm not comparing homosexuals with pigs. Do not even try to put those types of words in my mouth.

You're missing the basic point: that people have no problems telling others that they cannot marry, yet get royally pissed off if the same is done to them.

Taqroy

Honestly, I don't know how I feel about brother/sister marriage. There are serious consequences to producing children in such a relationship. And I don't think it would ever come to a legal battle, solely because of the inherent ick factor so I probably won't ever have to decide how I feel.

What I think is that you're snowballing and trying to divert the topic so you don't have to answer the question. I notice that Puck has already bailed on the topic so I'm guessing no one is going to answer.

Miakoda

I, for one, have NO problem with others hating gay people or disagreeing with gay marriage. I have a problem with people trying to prevent gay people having equal rights.

The bible says that slavery is ace. Should we go back to that?
Sooo....if you are against same-sex marriage, you obviously hate gay people?

I cannot fathom while people lump it into an "all or nothing" situation. I guess because the resulting response more "justified".....?

Ummm, who says the people in question even want children?

Again, I'm not comparing homosexuals with pigs. Do not even try to put those types of words in my mouth.

You're missing the basic point: that people have no problems telling others that they cannot marry, yet get royally pissed off if the same is done to them.
I didnt say they necessarily did, I am saying pretty sure thats how the law came about Nobility was doing it all the time and having some serious issues so it became taboo. I still dont think its relevant.

I didnt say you compared them to pigs, I said it reminds me of the argument people use against gay marriage, the whole "whats next".

If there were a compelling amountt of brothers and sisters that wanted to get married for legit reasons (ie not being coerced, forced, etc) and could make valid reasons why, I would consider it. Yes, my initial reaction is ick but so what, I would still listen and question my reasons as to why

Members online

No members online now.