What type of activity for my dog?

B

BlackDog

I have a overweight papillon named Lilly. She's 12 pounds and will be five on devil's night. I have always wanted to do some type of activity with her like agility but she doesn't like to jump. The weight has always been an issue as well. We have been cutting down the amount of food she eats to what the vet says is ideal for her size but she's still fat. We have tried different brands of dog food but she's still overweight. I thought maybe if she was involved with something she's lose weight. I would need to take her to training classes first because although she is very smart and knows alots of words she is very minipulative and pretends like she doesn't to get out of doing things. She's like a teenager. What should I do with her?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I'd go with agility. I'll bet the reason she doesn't like to jump is that she's fat. Keep her on ground activities until she loses the weight.

B

BlackDog

Idon't if its because of that. She would never ever jump as a puppy and she wasn't overweight than. Now she'll only jump on the couch or bed. I think its just that she hates being told to jump. She's like a cat in that way. It has to be her idea.

RD

Are you dead yet?
NO jumping until she loses some weight!!! With dainty breeds like Paps, that can't be stressed enough.

I would get some weight off of her before doing ANY agility training, personally. As for something to do to get the weight off - feed less, exercise more. Instead of sitting on the sofa for 'quality time' with her, try playing 'tug' with a favorite toy, or going for a walk.

W

Whitedobelover

yes jumping can cause probs in it self... and lots of exercise no matter what you do :D and less food... work her down on her food... and work her up on her exercise

Members online

No members online now.