How do the pros do it? (big dogs)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Lol, yeah I'm kind of oblivous to The Look, but I also usually have my butt towards the dogs head and cant' see it anyway. I usually trim nails like I'm cleaning hooves; I've got a little more control and can clip quicker.

I use bribery a lot with squirmy dogs...Virgo apparently had a bad episode during her last stint away and I'm having to re-train her to hold still as well. Sawyer's never been great at it, but is getting better.

Beth82

I recently decided to try something new with Beauty. When she was a puppy I cut into the quick once, and she's never gotten over her fear of the clippers, despite treats and clicker training. So, I finally switched to a little cat nail clipper. She doesn't seem to be afraid of them, and is able to focus on the treats in my other hand. Plus, they can only "shave" a little off the tip of each nail, so there's no danger of getting anywhere near the quick. I just started this yesterday, doing one paw per day. So far, so good. *fingers crossed*

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
I start doing my puppies nails the mintue they come home. With my aunts 2 litters we literally took people finger nail clippers and started just trimming a itty bitt off , just to get them use to the idea.

I can proudly say none of my guys require laying on, muzzling, or anything of the sorts. Its always nice to just have the dog stand there and give you thier feet. They are all use to the dremil and its like " Oh here she comes, lets get this over with!"

darkchild16

We are Home.
Simple answer sit on em! LOL. Thats what i have to do with Patches. Walker I used the dremel on one naill for the first time this weekend and he behaved for it better then the clippers so i think from now on thats how his are getting done. Plus then when he decides its time for a hug he cant scratch me YAY

lives4dogshows

Find your bliss!
I don't know how the pros do it but I just constantly play with my dogs paws and give them treats when they let me. Then I slowly introduce the clippers, rewarding them with treats for calm behavior. All my dogs just stand there for me to trim their nails.

If I have a problem dog I treat it just like I would any other dog that is not used to having their nails worked with, lots of treats and praise!

Did all the handling as a puppy stuff. There is no treat she wants more than she wants her feet NOT messed with and her nails NOT trimmed, lol . . . . The only thing that remotely works at all is if I give HER The Look :D

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
Well of course Renee, the fila knows THE LOOK! and knows that bad bad things will come if THE LOOK! isn't taken into consideration before they wanna fight about thier nails LOL.

Lily does not mind at all having her front feet trimmed, but when you get to her back feet and dew claws, she hates it. She'll let ME and only ME touch her back feet. She wont bite, but she'l put her teeth against your arm and nibble like she's itching it for you. She wines a little too, and then she gives you the look.

SarahFish

As far as I can remember, except for before we got him, Lui has only had his nails clipped once, at the groomers we went to who fixed up Lui's 'incident with the razor' (long story, check out my other thread). It sounded like he behaved though, I often pick up his feet etc just to see how he'll behave for it, and he's an angel. He's never really needed them clipped because we walk on the footpath a lot.
However, I've just won some nail clippers, as well as a full grooming set at our show today (also on another thread), and I want to use them. He should be fine with them though, he always stands still when I test him picking up his feet.

I guess i'm lucky..my dogs don't mind the dremel, infact they usually fall asleep while i'm doing it. If I were to use regular nail clippers though.. forget about it! That was a nightmare and I don't plan on going back ;)

Members online

No members online now.