Just doing some preliminary inquiries...

adamwehn

Learning Puppy Wrangler
After much breed researching I know that Labs are the breed for me. Now I just want to get some basic idea of how much a purebred Lab puppy would cost? I know prices will go up over time more than likely but at least I'd have a ballpark to have in mind for if I ever do this. Thanks in advance to all those that can assist me.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
here in CT ive seen breeders advertise labs for anything from $650-$900, and then newspaper adds for purebred labs at anything from $300-$1500.

your best bet would be to contact a couple of local breeders and find out what their prices are in your area though as they can vary greatly by state and breeder.

adamwehn

Learning Puppy Wrangler
FoxyWench said:
here in CT ive seen breeders advertise labs for anything from $650-$900, and then newspaper adds for purebred labs at anything from $300-$1500.

your best bet would be to contact a couple of local breeders and find out what their prices are in your area though as they can vary greatly by state and breeder.
Yeah I sent an e-mail to a couple of them, and am awaiting responses. But that gives me some ballparks. I found a website online that had labs listed at 500 each regardless of color. But the site looked suspiciously like a puppy mill site.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I haven't spoken to any reputable Lab breeders here, but the general cost in the newspaper seems to be anywhere from $300 to $1000, with about $500 being average. I'd expect to pay more from a reputable breeder, though.

adamwehn

Learning Puppy Wrangler
RD said:
I haven't spoken to any reputable Lab breeders here, but the general cost in the newspaper seems to be anywhere from $300 to $1000, with about $500 being average. I'd expect to pay more from a reputable breeder, though.
Sounds about right to me.

bubbatd

I would say if you want all the background, testing and full pedigree, count on $500 to $800 . Really depends on the breeder. If I was breeding today, I would probably be at $650 . I always had a waiting list and really don't know how much all the testing is today. ( These were Goldens ) The main thing is to find a breeder who doesn't need to advertise. WELL socializes the pups and has few litters. A good breeder will never have a litter every year... ( with same Dam ) . Then on the other side... my three grand-labs were all rescue........ Humane society prices.

R

RedyreRottweilers

The best thing to do is go join some Show Lab mailing lists. You will find quite a few at Yahoo I'm sure.

Go to http://www.akc.org and find the website for the National Club. Contact breeders who are members.

Get in the loop. Spend some time getting to know people, and then ask about what is considered reasonable for the type of puppy you are looking for.

Stay away from newspapers and people who do not compete with their dogs.

adamwehn

Learning Puppy Wrangler
Well one of the two breeders got back to me and her prices are $500 bucks, but this is from an area where there's more farm fields and trees than there are people. So prices will probably be lower, but anyways, the breeder seems like a very nice lady. I'm hoping I can visit with her sometime and say hi to her and her dogs, and maybe even bring my dog along.

adamwehn

Learning Puppy Wrangler
Well the second breeder I found contacted me this morning, via AIM, so now I have two breeders to converse with. Hopefully I can learn alot, I was suggested yet another dog food to try, but I might wait on it for a bit to give this Canidae a longer try. But ingredients wise the new suggestion is less complex.

bubbatd

Do you have " How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " ??? Helps as to what to look for in a breeder and then to check on a week to week of their handling litter.

Jynx

A good friend of mine breeds labs here in CT, she charges 900$ for her puppies, which include all health testing and guarantees. She goes above and beyond in my book, I know of a couple of her dogs(sold) that had eye problems and she paid for their surgeries. Alot of breeders wouldn't do that.

She's also a vet tech. I think when anyone looking to purchase a dog, the first thing you should be looking at is what the breeders are doing in regards to health testing/guarantees.

Diane

Members online