Black spots on Ma'ii's tongue?

Shakou

So, we've discovered that Ma'ii has a black splotch on his tongue, way in the back by his throat. It's similar to the spots you see on a chow's tongue. We only discovered this recently, as it's way back there.

Uh, what does that mean? lol

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
So black pigment isn't strictly a chow thing?
Not at all. Mackenzy has a black patch on her tongue and I'm very sure there's no chow in her. And I know a few purebred Goldens with black patches on their tongues as well.

Sekah

The Monster.
So black pigment isn't strictly a chow thing?
Nope. Quite a few breeds can have dark patches on their tongues. Labs often do, so loads of mutts seem to get mislabelled as Chow mixes if they have anything but the pinkest tongues.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Mira sez all the cool kids have black spots. And black-spotted dogs are definitely not all Chow mixes:

Last edited:

Shakou

Yeah, apparently this kind of thing is really common with ACDs. So mystery solved! Thanks everyone!

thehoundgirl

Yeah black spots on the tongue doesn't indicate the dog is a chow or a chow mix. :) My friend's golden retriever has a black spot on his tongue and he is purebred. I have seen lots of dogs that have no chow in them with a spotted tongues. :)

CaliTerp07

Lucy has a spotty black/purple tongue...but I'm fairly certain there is chow in her. We train with a purebred golden who has some tongue freckles too though. The owner calls them her dog's "naughty spots" :D

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Not at all. Mackenzy has a black patch on her tongue and I'm very sure there's no chow in her. And I know a few purebred Goldens with black patches on their tongues as well.
Izze had black pigment on her tongue. I also had a rescue Doberman & a rescued GSD with black pigment on their tongues. It wasn't like the same color as the chows or chow mixes. In fact I have seen a good many mixes get mislabeled in shelters because they have black pigment on their tongue & people automatically think chow mix.

But yes, it is a common thing in ACDs, they can also have black pigment in their mouths as well :) it comes from the Dalmatian part of their ancestry I think.

DJEtzel

Just to add, chows and sharpei don't have black, or spots, their tongues are purple. :)
They aren't always solid, they are frequently spotted/blotchy.

My parents bred chows for years when I was growing up, I'm really surprised I didn't end up a fatality statistic because of those dogs.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yes, chows/ shar pei's tongues are actually a bluish color, not black. I looked & the black pigment that was on Izze's tongue was a lot darker then any of the chow/ shar pei mixes that I saw.

I did get a lot of "chow mix" comments when people saw her tongue though :rolleyes:, I even had one guy tell me that black spots on a dogs tongue was a sign of a badly bred dog :lol-sign:

joce

Our husky had several spots and so does our cattle dog. I've seen them on a ton of dogs though.

Members online

No members online now.