Medical Alert Systems (Lifeline/Life Alert)

boneyjean

Stinky Butt
I know I don't post often, but I lurk daily. :) So I thought I would ask here if any of you have any thoughts.

My mom has been battling Cancer on a off for the past 3 years. With all of the treatments, and long term side effects of the treatments, she has become more weak and frail. It sucks watching your parents age so quickly before your eyes. In the last year, she has fallen at night twice and spent a few hours on the floor before either my dad came to help her or she was able to get herself up. Also, my dad travels a lot so she is home alone often as well.

So I am looking into some type of a medical alert system that she can wear that can first alert us with a phone call and if necessary call paramedics etc. I am curious if anyone has had to set one of these up for their parents or knows anything about them? There are TONS of them out there. I think Lifeline is the one everyone knows about, but from what I have read, it is also the most expensive and the most up front fees etc. But I don't want to end up with something that won't do the job either.

Anyone have any experiences, advice or suggestions on where to start with this? A google search yesterday left me completely overwhelmed!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I've looked into them.

Essentially, what happens is they wear the button all the time. Ts waterproof, so even in the bath/shower. If they need help, they push the button. What happens is one of the companies employees comes on to talk to them. Then, after talking to the person (your mother, in this case), they react as necessary -- whether that be by calling family or a friend, or calling emergency services. It's pretty nifty too, in the aspect of it works as a speaker phone -- so of the phone rings, they can actually answer their phone through the device, without needing to get up.

zoe08

I don't know much about them, but I know my grandma got one last year. She too had fallen alone a few times, and after her best friend that lived a few doors down passed away (shortly after a fall of her own where she laid on her patio all night), they got my grandma one. I am not sure what brand it is, I think it took a little bit to get it set up right so the internet or something didn't interfere with it. I am not sure what brand it is, but I can ask my parents if they know next time I talk to them.

Members online

No members online now.