A-Frame

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Has anyone here built their own A-Frame? I built my own dog walk and it was easy, but I am a little scared to attempt the A-frame

adojrts

Yes, my husband built all my contact equipment, but then he is a welder.
And its all the regulation.
In my opinion one of the most important things is the grip on the contact equipment. After the firist coat of paint had dried, I painted it again and poured sandblasting sand over it while it laid flat. Left it for several days to dry and then swept the excess sand off and then painted it again. My grip is awesome and has remain for 7 yrs now.
But my equipment also never remains outside during the winter which also helps.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
My dad and I built a mini a-frame. I used, I believe, the kind of sand that is used to make grip on decks and stuff like that. I ended up mixing it into the paint, and then going back over the paint shaking more on to make sure I got a good grip on it.

There is a book by Jean Simmons-Moake, I believe it is called Agility Training - it's a blue book, and it's one that's not part of her series - in the back there are plans on how to build all kinds of agility equipment. We used her plans as a guide and went from there. I don't think her plans are to current AKC standards so you may need to make sure you reference the standards of whatever club you're running if you want to get it all "proper."

The planks of mine are only 5 feet long, IIRC, and the darn thing is still a monster to move around. Just remember that when you build it - it's going to be rather heavy.

Bear Luv

CEO of the Candy Cult
I built my own a-frame. I got on pretty thick sheet of plywood, around 3/4" thick, and had the people at home depot cut it into two 6' by 2' pieces.

I got more pieces of wood, most around 12' long, 2" wide, and 1/2 thick, or thicker. Cut them into 4 (6' long pieces) and those pieces should be connected to the ends of the plywood, they are the beginning of the supports.

I got two hinges and just connected the top, and got these screw looking things with a loop at the end, and two 8' long chains basically. The whole thing cost under $100, including the paint, sand, and other stuff we already had.

It is not the best a-frame, but its extremely sturdy, and can adjust to any height my chains will go. If you want my plans, I can send them to you, it would be easier to understand then my attempt at it lol.

I know you can get good quality a-frames all over the place for around $600, so if you keep looking you might be able to find one.

Diane

adojrts

I do believe that the length on each side of a frame is 9 ft. and width is 3-4 ft. contact zones should be 36 inches (I think thats right lol)

maple

Queen of the Jungle
oooh, good timing for this thread. :popcorn:
I've built some jumps, but am trying to motivate hubby to take on the building of either an A frame of a walk in the next little while.....

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I'd build a frame to the specs of the agility organization you wish to compete in. Plank length and width is listed in the specs of equipment for pretty much every organization.

adojrts

MP, I don't think there is any difference in the construction of the frame between orgs. Considering that many clubs host agility trials from different orgs and use the same equipment. Of course the exception being Teacup.
And whether the Contact equipment has slates or no slates etc.

MafiaPrincess

Some orgs accept 8' frame planks.. Easier to build an 8' frame considering plywood is 8'.. Changes the apex height though. At one point I was comparing a bunch or orgs, and there actually was some difference in what flies- beyond slat vs slatless.

ETA: CPE even accepts both 8 and 9'.. but it changes the apex and the contact zone length.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Thanks guys! I have been on halt with agility training and building equipment lately. Next week end I am going to try to put together an A Frame

MafiaPrincess

No worries. :) I hover between building more stuff and lamenting that my yard can't take any more equipment.. So I create and put away plans..

Dekka

Just try me..
Mafia... I have an Aframe you can acquire.....

psst lady, wanna buy and Aframe?

Dekka

Just try me..
you show me money, you has a frame...

(Meet me in the back alley with the stuff)

MafiaPrincess

You and the back alley girly.. I asked for the asking price before I do back alley trades ;)

Can scandal be thrown into the deal ;)

Dekka

Just try me..
No Scandal, the little boss says no deal! (he has decided to work with her..tho if you pupnap Cricket he might be willing to talk)

You make offer, maybe you has a frame....

(come on work with me here)

MafiaPrincess

If he tires of her.. Can you throw her in then? I want a bed warmer that likes to cuddle under covers :)

Cute very cute. I'm serious what are you looking for for your contacts? I'd love the full sized- not TDAA sized one I have teeter too, but I think I'm pushing it, not enough yard to go around..

Members online

No members online now.