Update

Richie12345

The Breeder called us. Mostly saying that she is OFA certified, she told us about all the health problems about the Harrier. She said she checks her pups at an age of two weeks. She gives the pups to the buyer's once the pup is 9 weeks. Then ofcourse went over the temperament... even tho I have been reading about the Harrier for quite awhile now :rolleyes: Pretty much that, just thought you guys should know. Any questions I should ask the breeder?

Go over that sticky thread at the top of this forum about what to look for in a breeder, and get a good look at the sire and dam so you can see if they have the true Harrier temperament and seem to be sound.

I guess you're getting excited now! I can't wait to see puppy photos, lol!

Richie12345

Yeah, I'm nagging my mom to send her emails, and call her. Next weekend we're gonna drive over there and check out the dogs. Can't wait

poeluvr

oh really just two breeds combined..r they registered breeds? just curious..i find it interesting cuz i neva heard of them b4

Richie12345

When they were making a specific breed they bred a Beagle and Foxhound, which resulted in a Harrier. Then they kept breeding the Harriers. That was what I was reading about. The Harrier is recognized by the AKC

Richie12345

LEA said:
hmmmmmmmmmm.....they look so much like beagles...just bigger
Yeah, I've notice that two. I find it hard to decide which one is which when you put a full grown beagle and puppy Harrier right next to eachother.

poeluvr

so then if so alike...wehat made u want a harrier over beagle or hound....and why female

Richie12345

LEA said:
so then if so alike...wehat made u want a harrier over beagle or hound....and why female
I really like big dogs, and I havn't decided upon a female or male. The breeder is female. But I have heard that female puppies make great family pets. I am probably going to get whichever that chooses me. Oh, and I couldn't find any Foxhound breeders, so I went with the Harrier

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Lea, many breeds come about that way. The labrador is from the newfie and the springer spaniel.
Richie..9 weeks is a good indication about your breeder, i am very happy to read this.What brought you to decide on this breed..beagles can be very stubborn..i don't know what fox hounds are like, have never had the pleasure of working with one.

Richie12345

smkie said:
Lea, many breeds come about that way. The labrador is from the newfie and the springer spaniel.
Richie..9 weeks is a good indication about your breeder, i am very happy to read this.What brought you to decide on this breed..beagles can be very stubborn..i don't know what fox hounds are like, have never had the pleasure of working with one.
Well, my dad and I sat down at the table and talked about different breeds. We decided upon a Hamilstovare (spelling?), but I found out by Renee (I should've read more about it, got too excited) that they are quite rare in the states. There was only one breeder and he lived in Texas... So I started researching on the Fox Hound, found no breeders in my area. So I went with the Harrier. I read that they are quite rare and that unless you live in the West Coast you will not find much breeders in the US. I called one breeder (who turned out to be a jerk :mad: ) And then I found this breeder... hopefully she's good. Yes, Harriers can be stubborn like the beagle, but they are both food motivated:) which is good.

Here's some information on the Fox hound

Here's the breeder's website

M

Manchesters

Wow!

That breeder's dogs are very impressive. AKC Champions and all that good stuff, as well as dogs that are health tested. But I shudder to think what you will pay for one of those puppies! $1000 is what I would expect the price to start at!!!!!

Members online