HELP! Can't afford to take dog to the vet. Dog has EAR problem, keeps shaking head??

Johnny916

Hi, my dog seems to have an on going ear problem. I took him to the vet a few years back and they said he had cocker tails in his ears or something like that. I can't exactly remember if that's the exact term.
Anyways, the vet gave us some medicine to put on his ears and he was doing fine for about a year but I'm assuming the same problem is back again
because he keeps shaking his head.
His ears look a bit swollen, I don't know what to do.
Should I just take him back to the vet or is there some medicine I can buy to help tame the problem?
If somebody out there can help please do..
You can even call me:
916-396-9617
Or email: [email protected]
Or simply reply!

showpug

Your dog needs to go to the vet, especially if your dog is a cocker. They have chronic ear problems as you probably already know. If ear infections are left un-treated they can lead to ear hematomas and damage to the ear in general, not to mention pain and suffering for your beloved friend. I know money is tight, but if you can barrow or scrounge it up somewhere that would be the right thing to do. Buying something over-the-counter may mask symptoms for a few days but will eventually just prolong and worsen the infection. After your dog is treated and healed it is best to flush the ears every few days (forever!) to ensure they stay dry, clean, and healthy. The flush I sware by can be purchased on line and it is a brand I trust from the days I worked in the vet clinic. :rolleyes: Here is a link:http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07787-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

avenlee

I just went through this with both my dogs. Seems to be that time of year I guess. I have a cocker spaniel and she's notorious for ear problems. You really need to get her to a vet. Sometimes they will work with you if the money is tight. But, I was there just last week and tried to nip it in the butt myself because we were money tight also, but it just got worse. Just after one application, you could see the difference and relief. And mounds of relief for myself.

Doberluv

Sounds like (over the Internet, anyway) like a yeast overgrowth. There is medicine, but you have to get it from the vet. If you haven't been in for over a year, they're likely going to insist that you see the vet first. It's miserable for the dog. My Lab had this recurring problem. It needs to be dealt with. If you can't afford to treat the dog, the dog should be re-homed. These medical problems and even worse medical problems can come up at any time. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but please take care of your poor dog's ears. Good luck!

joce

Is it a cocker with bad ears or do you mean those weed things that get stuck in the ears? Look for a low cost clinic around you. SOme vets even have payment plans.

Tell us a little more about the problem. Is there a smell? Are the insides of your dog's ears particularly hairy? Does the fur hang down long or is it short? Is there a discharge or do the ears have a black waxy substance in there? How old is your dog? What does he eat? What kind of dog is he? Is this worse at certain times of the year or in certain weathers or does it just seem to be random?

Members online