Slip Leads

Maxy24

I was wondering if anyone knew where you could buy good slip leads, I can't find any at the big pet stores, though I will check out our smaller ones soon. I want it so we can easily leash Tucker when someone knocks on the door, so we can answer the door. Right now we have to try and get his collar on while he's flipping out before we can open the door and it isn't working well. For one thing it takes too long which makes us rush and act all panicky. The other thing is he's begun to redirect a little so something that doesn't require us to touch him so much would be good.

The slip lead needs to be easy to get on a flipping out dog. I would also be nice if it didn't put too much pressure on his throat. I mean obviously it's going to tighten, that's what they do, but some of the ones I've seen are super thin and I feel like they must choke something awful, he'll choke on a regular flat collar as it is when he's freaking out. And of course it must be secure, but since he's a small dog I don't think that will be too difficult.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Check agility places - they often have cushy padded ones. Clean Run comes to mind.

Ruffwear has rope ones, but they may be too narrow.

For what you need, a quick on, no fuss, no touching, I'd go with the mendota style rope slip leads.

They last a long time and they are relatively cheap and very easy to use. Espeically with a reactive dog who you might have to just lasso.

All the other fleece leads and martingales are fancier, but for ease of use, you can't beat a regular old rope slip lead.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Yeah the mendota ones are super easy. I got one at jjdog.com, one at an agility trial, and one from Gander Mountain. The Cabela/Gander Mountain/REI type stores usually care them in their dog section if you have one nearby and don't want to order it online.

Or you can buy an O-ring from the hardware store, pick up some paracord or fleece, and braid yourself a pretty one. Did that too lol.

Last edited:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Mendota lover here!

(It's also local here, so then I can say I support local :p) Plus...pretty colors.

crazedACD

I have a martingale style lead, rope with a fairly wide neck piece, but I'm not seeing them online. The local pet store chain Dave's out this way makes and carry them.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I have a tiny thin one I got for $5 that I can fold up and stick in my pocket, but I love my Mendota one. Lots of cute color options (<3 my seafoam striped one) and they come in a couple of different widths if you don't want anything too narrow.

monkeys23

The shelter I got Lily from uses Mendota! Its a very small shelter. :)

I have two EL rope ones. I adore Lily's mountain rope one to pieces, but alas they do not have that rope anymore. Scout is the black Eco rope and I'm pretty meh on that rope. Its handy to have slip leads though! I like the brass clamps on Lily's much better than the zinc on Scout's... for some reason the brass are a lot less bulky, could be the thinner rope too though.

Rush to Tug is an awesome idea!! I've only gotten tugs, but love their stuff! Totally the only tugs I can keep Lily engaged with. :)

If you wanted to get fancy there are these: Lazy Lasso
Or regular Slip Lead.

Or this looks pretty awesome... I like that its biothane and has a stopper... been thinking about getting a couple of 'em to have around: Everday Slip Lead - Weatherproof

Classic Kennel Lead from Bold Lead Designs

MicksMom

I haven't checked the links everyone posted, but Mendota makes two kinds of slip/kennel leads. One is a true slip lead in that the part around the dog's neck works like a slip collar. Their "Big Dog Walker" works like a martingale collar.

Grab

For what you need, a quick on, no fuss, no touching, I'd go with the mendota style rope slip leads.

They last a long time and they are relatively cheap and very easy to use. Espeically with a reactive dog who you might have to just lasso.

All the other fleece leads and martingales are fancier, but for ease of use, you can't beat a regular old rope slip lead.
This is what we have for quick leashing purposes. Soft on the hands, easy to slip on the dogs :)

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I have a mendota bought from a vendor at an agility trial for Cider, a sight hound martingale for Moo and Arson has a martingale tug lead. The mendota is the easiest to put on quickly.

Lyzelle

Mendota for me too.

I've tried martingales with Zane, but really they just slip over his head, no matter how tight I pull them. They are wide enough, but too flat and slip right over his fur.

This is what we have for quick leashing purposes. Soft on the hands, easy to slip on the dogs :)
I always keep one in each vehicle just in case. You never know when you might need a leash and they hold up so well.

I use other leads for walking, agility, etc, but always keep a mendota around.

Members online

No members online now.