First Steps

SpringerLover

As much back story as I can actually give is that she's lived in a kennel for all of her nearly three years of life. She's never been taught how to learn and the only training she received was force based. I've had her since Saturday and I have to say, I'm dang proud of this little red retriever. She's done some really slow/concerned behavior offering since Sunday but today is the first day she's actually given me something like this.

I'm a dork and apparently can't set up my video camera so you can actually see my hands/her head but whenever I stupidly squeal in excitement is when she's stepping up onto the pedestal as an offered behavior, with my hands at my sides.

http://youtu.be/loBBYzmpjx0

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Oh, gosh.

How is her evaluation and stuff going? Because I think you kinda need each other...

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
She is rocking and adorable. I think you need to keep her.

And... I'm packing Arson into a priority post box in the morning and sending him to you for some random training. Sadly I suck.. and you just proved you rock ;) So.. crestie coming our way!

SpringerLover

Oh, gosh.

How is her evaluation and stuff going? Because I think you kinda need each other...
So far, so good. They're setting her up with an experienced foster able to take her out in public. We need to see if she'll ever settle in enough to not startle first. She startles at anything new, watches, and recovers. If she's going to be an assistance dog, she needs to not startle in the first place. Will enough exposure under threshold work? I guess we'll find out.

She is not my dog. She is not my dog.

SpringerLover

She is rocking and adorable. I think you need to keep her.

And... I'm packing Arson into a priority post box in the morning and sending him to you for some random training. Sadly I suck.. and you just proved you rock ;) So.. crestie coming our way!
The organization that's evaluating her is the one I want to foster/puppy raise for when I actually buy a house sometime in my life... I just really enjoy training a whole bunch!

She is not my dog. She is not my dog. :D

SpringerLover

Another Red Retriever update...

She's been comfortable going under things since Monday? last week I think. It didn't take long. Tonight I started waiting for her to offer ducking her head before c/t and using treat placement to get her more under the bench.

After a discussion with my talented trainer best friend, I decided to try classical conditioning as an approach to minimizing her startling rather than the operant conditioning I was using. Tonight something SUPER SCARY fell on her while she was playing ball, using CC I was able to get her to offer standing on it.

Progress, we have it! :D

SpringerLover

I also discovered that she loves, loves, loves cheese. Seriously will do anything for cheese. Even go near the scary pink box that fell on her scary. Behold the power of cheese!

Members online

No members online now.