Improper use of agility equipment

I couldn't decide if this question should be in the agility or training section, so mods feel free to move it to wherever is appropriate.

Pit is in agility and thanks to a ton of practice knows what I want him to do with each obstacle.

He and I are now training with a trainer to do demos for various things (for dog classes, children in school etc...) to basically show potential clients what he can offer and make learning fun for kids and what not. Some of the stunts require Pit to use agility equipment incorrectly (ie stopping at the top of an A-frame to pose).

I was wondering if it's possible to train him to do this without damaging his current understanding of how to use the equipment? Perhaps using a different cue?

Halp. :(

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I've done demos... I've never been asked to do anything that is anti agility training. Way shorter sequences, single obstacles but never anything that goes against what I want..

lizzybeth727

I think you can do it in a way that definately does not hurt agility training. Like stopping on the top of the A-frame - just be clear in your body language (and probably a verbal cue, like "stop") that you want him to stop. Then when you're doing a real agility run, you're going to keep running past the A-frame, making it clear with your body language that you want him to keep going. *shrugs* I really don't see how it would cause problems.

Dekka

Just try me..
Personally if you have any desire to trial, don't do it. Its hard enough to do when you are consistently practising the same thing over and over again on the equip.

I should have been clearer and said I'm only in agility classes at the moment. We do not trial yet and am likely not going to do so. Regardless, I would like to maintain his skill and do it properly to leave doors open.

He won't mind if I decide not to train Pit to do those particular stunts, I was just confirming the nagging in the back of my mind that it would probably be detrimental to his agility world.

BostonBanker

Personally, I wouldn't do it, but I do compete, so correct performance matters to me a lot. I think it is certainly possible to teach different cues, but you are going to wind up with a dog that is going to head up the a-frame every time looking to you and trying to figure out what to do. I want my dog driving as hard as she can over the top into her contact position, not wondering what the right answer is today.

I've also done a ton of demos through our agility club, and the only thing they request is that you don't spend a lot of time correcting things.

adojrts

Agreed, I wouldn't do it, not if I ever wanted to compete. Another concern would be, if this trainer is asking for this kind of stuff, just how experienced and good are they as an agility trainer? I can't think of one trainer that competes that would require or request that of any of their students.

Good luck.

He doesn't train agility, he just wants to use some of the equipment for whatever his plans are as he has them on hand.

Thanks!

Members online