Charlie is BAD with babies

And I mean BAD. Not only does he not know how to act around them, but my niece came to visit last week (8 months) and he had to be put on the porch, he literally thought she was a huge stuffed toy, jumping up to grab her feet, absolutely wild!

Obviously he has never been around babies before. How can I teach him not to react this way? My kids are 5 and 2.5 (twins) and he has no problems with them. I dont plan on having more kids for quite a bit, but its definately in my future plans and would not like to have a nutty dog with a new baby.

Please help!

Maura

Give him something to put in his mouth, a large soft toy.

He was jumping up because the baby was "up". He may have reacted better if she had been in a playpen, at his level. When you have another baby I'm guessing it will be brought home at age 3 days, not 8 months. You will have time to acclimate Charlie to the crib, playpen, etc. and train him not to put his paws on you when you are holding a bundle.

D

drdamian

Bringing a new baby into the household that already has a puppy living in it can prove to be a little difficult at times. You need to understand that a puppy who has been in the house for a while views the home as his territory and when you bring home a small child then this toy-like new person can feel like a threat.You are going to have to allow your puppy to sniff and get used to the baby. However, keep in mind that babies love to tug and pull at everything they see. This may startle your puppy when the baby goes to tug at him. So in order to get your puppy used to this behavior, start by tugging and pulling at your puppy whenever you praise him.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I love dogs... I love babies more. It's the natural order of things.

I'm pretty hard line about dogs and babies. The dog is not allowed to play/touch the baby, the baby's stuff, and be in the baby's room. Period. End of story. It's all one big LEAVE IT!
In return I will endeavor to not leave the baby's stuff on the floor where the dog will be tempted, I will crate the dog when my child is in the wails, and I will not allow my child to abuse my dog by tugging on him, scaring him, or become a feeding station when we move to solid food. All baby, toddler, doggie time is supervised time and if I have any doubt about my ability to control the environment my dog and my kid are occupying at the same time someone is going in a crate / playpen.

Living structure and solid obedience is key but sometimes a dog is just not kid safe even under supervision. It's up to you to decide what kind of boundaries you need for your dog, ideally I suggest people set up a program before baby comes home. We used an indoor invisible fence to keep the dogs out of the baby's room and playroom, it was super effective. When the baby went to solid food we booted the dogs out the back door during meal times (we had them circling the table like sharks).

Members online

No members online now.