Tick in ears. Please Help

I found a tick in each of my dog's ears and when I try to get to her ear she fusses about it. I'm currently trying to use tweezers but as the dog's ears surface are not flat, its a bit difficult to grab.

Are there any other approved methods of getting the tick out? Please help me and my dog out.

elegy

overdogged
i think tweezers are probably your best bet, but i imagine it is very hard to grab. good luck!

should i just leave them and bring her to the vet tomorrow?

i keep trying and whenever i get near the surface of the ear she starts fussing.

its too hard for one person to hold her down and then straighten the ear out to take out the tick.

Sanas_K

I know exactly what you're going through, my dog had quite a few ticks on her the last few days, I had to have help to get them all off of her.

I did find this link during my troubles, maybe it'll help you...I didn't have the guts to test this theory of getting ticks off and went ahead with tweezers, but it might save you a trip to the vet if it works for you and your dog.
http://www.instructables.com/id/ELEIMN3JLBEXCFJ631/

Hope it helps. Maybe check your local pet store for tick removal sprays or such? I know they have things that are supposed to kill ticks on contact...maybe you should just look into it.

I know exactly what you're going through, my dog had quite a few ticks on her the last few days, I had to have help to get them all off of her.

I did find this link during my troubles, maybe it'll help you...I didn't have the guts to test this theory of getting ticks off and went ahead with tweezers, but it might save you a trip to the vet if it works for you and your dog.
http://www.instructables.com/id/ELEIMN3JLBEXCFJ631/

Hope it helps. Maybe check your local pet store for tick removal sprays or such? I know they have things that are supposed to kill ticks on contact...maybe you should just look into it.
Id much rather not touch that nasty critter by rubbing it. lol

I had my mom and dad take it out. They found 3 while I was at work.

I stopped by the vets office this afternoon and they told me that Frontline Plus would work great and prevent it on her for a good month. So I did buy a 6 month application + 1 free. I used Advantage before which did not have a tick preventative in it.

But anyways, the vet had also told me that I will need to have an exterminator on site to actually get rid of them as a problem. Does anybody know how much these generally will cost? I'm getting poor :(

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
An exterminator to get rid of ticks? Unless they are literally crawling all over you I think that's a bit extreme (well, ridiculous to be honest). Frontline Plus should be all you need.

By the way, just FYI - You're right that Advantage does not repel ticks, but Advantix does.

An exterminator to get rid of ticks? Unless they are literally crawling all over you I think that's a bit extreme (well, ridiculous to be honest). Frontline Plus should be all you need.

By the way, just FYI - You're right that Advantage does not repel ticks, but Advantix does.
Nope. They surely are not crawling over me at all.

But I have found 2 in her paws last week. This week its 3 in her ears. I'm guessing its because when I let her out to go eliminate, she rolls around in the grass and goes by the fence where its shady and where the garden is at.

The front desk girls at the vets told me those ticks I found will have eventually laid eggs and I'll need to do an interior and exterior pest control of the ticks. :(

I think I'll follow your advice though since it does a bit extreme to call for pest control if only 5 were found.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
I found a bunch of ticks on Charlie a month or so ago. He is so furry that they're hard to find so when I saw one great big one I checked him over really well and found like 5. I put some Advantix on him and haven't seen one since. A lot probably depends on where you live too, but I just can't imagine needing an exterminator!

I found a bunch of ticks on Charlie a month or so ago. He is so furry that they're hard to find so when I saw one great big one I checked him over really well and found like 5. I put some Advantix on him and haven't seen one since. A lot probably depends on where you live too, but I just can't imagine needing an exterminator!
Yeah, I would imagine!

I see his picture. And that he is notably bigger than mine, you would have to spend a longer time to look for them. I'm glad things have gotten better for him though :)
When we got Baby, she had a tic on her eyebrow n ext to her eye, and it was really hard to get it off.
Oh I cant even imagine by the eye. Especially when they are younger, they never stay still enough for you to poke at that spot.

Members online

No members online now.