Spoiled my Toki

candy722

I just noticed how spoil Toki has been. Every time he wants something on the table that his not suppose to play with he will bark and bark until I get it for him. It gets really annoying because he doesn't stop barking. His just like a baby won't stop crying until he gets his toy. ANyone knows how to correct this behavior? I tell him to leave it alone and he understands that term but he continues to bark. :confused:

candy722

I tried ignoring him but he keeps on barking and barking. I tried to give him something else to play but he will go back to the same item until I give it to him. If I tell him to stop he will whine and whine then starts to bark again.

Fran27

Well, he will stop eventually. He will probably bark even longer and even louder for a while, too, just in case you're not hearing him well if he doesn't get what he wants, but eventually he will realize he's wasting his energy and stop. Might take a while though.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
tuff it out and he will get the message..in fact if he starts barking leave the room. Aaron had a cat that meowed at me everytime he wanted something..and he wanted something 24-7. I finally had it and i completely ignored him, in fact i put Aaron in charge of feeding his own cat. It took about a week but eventually the cat got the message that i wouldn't even open a door for him and he left me completly alone although he did try serious sucking up, i still held my ground. You need to be the boss, not the other way around. I would also get a can with rocks in it or something else just as distasteful. I do not allow barking period and my dogs are pleasant to be around. The find out from the get go that barking is inappropriate behavior and will get nothing out of me. The only exception is at the dog park where other dogs are barking or when we are playing outside. Never never in the house.

Pick up the item and put it out of sight immediately, not giving Toki and acknowledgement at all. He'll figure out pretty quickly that being a brat makes things disappear . . .

IGNORE HIM!!!
THE BEST WAY!!!
dont even look back.
even if it bothers you, if you keep ignoring for 2 days or so...
he'll stop.
I promise you
or he'll just bark less

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
I think Renee has a good idea on this one. You can also put Him away for a while, maybe in a seperate room. If he barks in there (which i suppose he will) do not let him out until he is quiet. He will pause for breath eventually, and if you can get five seconds of quiet let him out.
Any more barking to get the toy and he goes straight back in the room.
As soon as he is silent for a minute or two, praise him and give him the toy.

Members online

No members online now.