HELP!!! Worms!!! Ewwww

simplymisty

IL Dog Freak
Ok, I'm a foster mom and have 3 of my own personal dogs. My foster had 7 puppies 4 weeks ago today. Tonight I gave them all the de-worming meds from the vet and less than an hour later they're all pooping out TONS of worms (that look like spagetti) and they're throwing them up.

They're still pooping out TONS of them several hours later (and I can't belive that they had this many worms inside each puppy and that they're still coming).

How long will this last?

Do I have to worry about my son or I or my 3 dogs getting them?

I have a HUGE issue with worms, jumped out of a car when I was younger that was going 50 MPH because someone threw a worm on me, that's how much I have an issue with them and this is really grossing me out big time.

My dog had puppies (not planned, my male got her pregnant before he was old enough to get fixed) and when I de-wormed them this never happened. There were no worms everywhere or anywher.

I hope that someone can ease my mind because I'm so freaked and sick.

Thanks!!!

Spiritus

4 weeks is a little late for the first de-worming. Normally it's done for the first time between two and three weeks of age, and then the worms are babies and haven't had a time to take over the pup's system as much. I would think that by tomorrow evening the poop should be back to normal. Now, just make sure you deworm again in two weeks, and then right before they leave at 8 weeks.

You should probably deworm your other dogs, particularly if they have had access to the puppy area. Mom must certainly be done.

simplymisty

IL Dog Freak
I actually had to push the vet to give me dewormer because they kept saying that they don't do it until the first set of shots. I'm glad to hear it will be over hopefully tonight.

I'm calling the vet this morning to find out if I can give the mom dewormer.

Will it be this bad each time I have to deworm them? How many treatments does it take before it actually kills all that are in their system?

Spiritus

The worm's life cycle is two weeks. That is why we worm puppies every two weeks with a gentle dewormer (I use Strongid). The first deworming kills the adult worms, but there are still eggs in the pups. The second deworming kills the newly hatched worms, but there still might be eggs, so you do a third worming.

When I deworm pups, I deworm everyone, mom and the other adults in my house.

simplymisty

IL Dog Freak
I'm not sure what kind - the vet didn't give me the name. It's a yellow liquid. The rescue brought me de-worming pills yesterday for my dogs and the foster mom. We're at day 2 and there are still worms coming. Not quite as bad as the first night but still icky.

Thanks for your help!!!

Can you buy deworming meds from a store and not the vet? If so, do you know what stores sell them? Just thinking that it might be cheaper on the rescue to buy in bulk.

Spiritus

The yellow liquid is likely Strongid, and it does need to be given every two weeks as they grow. It tastes like caramel, and my puppies would come RUNNING when I got out the syringe and the Strongid.

If they're still pooping worms, they had quite the infestation. Definitely go buy a bottle, as your vet what the dosage is, and worm them regularly until they go.

ChrissyR

I'm in your shoes. This is creepy. LOL We just got the pups wormed and they just turned 4 weeks. It took this long to get the vet to worm them. Mom was supposed to have been wormed already. Of course, someone lied to me about that one. Had to wait to see the actual worms come out before we got them wormed. The vet never mentioned bringing them back in in 2 weeks for another worming. All he did say was if we still see worms in a week, to come back in and he'll worm them again.

simplymisty

IL Dog Freak
I did end up taking my pups into the vet this weekend because I needed to get a weight on them because my scale only goes to 5 ibs.

The vet actually had me deworm them again just 3 days later with a larger dose when they heard how bad they had the worms (plus some of them didn't get enough the first time because they were over 5 ibs).

pupmiki595

its normall for them to poop out the worms and it may take a day or to depending on how much worms are in there so dont worry but you should call the vet if it last to long or keep in touch so if you have any more promblems message me on that privet message thing but remeber i am no expert so you may want to keep in touch with the vet not to worry you any

Members online

No members online now.